Aesthetics: exposed heat pipe near basement ceiling

Users who are viewing this thread

Theodore

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm finishing my basement. The 1st/2nd floors have hydronic baseboard heat, and a 1” dia copper heat supply pipe runs around the circumference of the basement ceiling, feeding each baseboard. This pipe is about 6” down from the ceiling, and 12” off the exterior basement wall. I don’t want to soffit it because it will help heat the basement. The wife is on-board with keeping it exposed, provided it looks “clean.” It’s 50+years old and quite dingy-looking due to patina, dirt, paint splatters, etc. I have two thoughts:

1. Wash (soap&water), sand and buff to high polish the 100+ft of pipe and then spray on a clear-coat.

2. Wash, lightly sand, and then spray paint the pipe

Does anyone have any shortcut ways to sand/buff that much (installed) pipe in a reasonable way? At a suggestion from a friend, I tried wiping on/off with “Calcium, Lime, and Rust Remover” (CLR), but didn’t look all that great. Also, any pros/cons for either approach? All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Theodore

Asktom

Reaction score
It would be best to do it the way the better half suggests. Either way will work, one way will be smoother.

Reach4

Reaction score
#1 would be way too much work for most people.

I would consider a flat white paint if the ceiling is white. Using a brush prevents the overspray problem. FoamPRO Pipe Painter looks interesting.
FP00039-2T.jpg

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Get yourself a can if Nevr-Dull, and spend a few hours buffing the copper to a nice shine before applying a clear coat to keep it from oxidizing again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks