Aerator needed on home made copper pipe faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

David Poirier

Reaction score
Hello,
I have built a vanity out of barnwood, placed a rock vessel sink on it, and am building a homemade copper pipe faucet for it. I want to include an aerator but I can't figure out how to put one on the 1/2" copper pipe that currently is the end of my faucet. Is there a way to do this? Surely there's a way...?
TIA

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the OD of a 1/2 copper coupler? Is it big enough that you could use a 3/4-27 die on it to create a thread? There are aerators that would fit that. I have built up a fitting with solder before using a die on it.

Kohler K-1104111-VF Nozzle Assembly, Polished Brass (1104111-CP is chrome)
It is like an aerator, but I don't think it injects air.
It has a 11/16" - 24 Female Thread. You can buy the brass one for $25 if you shop hard.

The Tom Thumb female threaded aerator has a 16 mm -1 thread (16 MM is 0.623 inches). That should screw on to a tapped 0.625 OD 1/2 inch copper pipe after it has been threaded.

http://www.neoperl.net/en/oem/products/aerators/sizeshousings.html

Last edited:

David Poirier

Reaction score
You asked about the OD of the pipe....funny thing is I have old copper pipe and fittings and the OD is much larger than the thin pieces you see today. I was shocked at how thin the pieces were at Depot and Lowes. I like the idea of threading something to make it work. I think I'd rather see an aerator on the inside so I'm going to see if I go up to a 3/4" pipe if that would allow me to put one inside making threads like you mention.

Reach4

Reaction score
Type K copper pipe is marked with green. That is the heavier stuff that you were probably used to. Type L is marked with blue, and common. Type M is marked with red. It is the cheapest and thinnest of the 3. Some building codes do not allow type M for potable water, and some do.

The OD is the same for each for a given nominal size.

David Poirier

Reaction score
Type K copper pipe is marked with green. That is the heavier stuff that you were probably used to. Type L is marked with blue, and common. Type M is marked with red. It is the cheapest and thinnest of the 3. Some building codes do not allow type M for potable water, and some do.

The OD is the same for each for a given nominal size.

That's kind of strange that the OD would be the same so thinner pipe would have more volume or allow more flow I guess. But, in order to use common fittings it makes sense that the OD would be the same.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The only time the o.d. changes for a thinner pipe is SDR sewer pipe. There the i.d. is the same so there are no ragged edges when you change to a different grade pipe.

David Poirier

Reaction score
Ace hardware has many aerator adapters and should have one from 1/2" ips to aerator.
Thanks all for your help. I am going to take the guts out of an aerator and put them in a screw on piece of pipe so that it is easily removable and alos the aerator is hidden. I stood for an hour at Ace Hardware trying to work this out and just couldn't get it done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks