Advise requested for bathroom DWV repair

Users who are viewing this thread

fzero

Reaction score
I've been reading a ton of posts here the past few days planning out how I'm going to fix my bathroom.

I'm repairing water damage from a leaking lead shower pan. The subfloor had rotted away under the shower, so I pulled it all out. Then I noticed that the copper drain pipes were leaking in various places. The previous home owner had smeared caulk over various spots, and filled the cavity with spray foam. That is all mostly cleaned up. I was going to one for one replace the various leaking pieces with PVC, and join to the copper pipe with a metal band coupling. But, after browsing around these forums for the past few nights I realize that may not be the best idea.

Starting with pictures is the easiest thing to do right off the bat. Explanations to follow.
DSC04270.jpg
DSC04272.jpg

- The bathroom is 4'x8'
- The 3" DWV is shared between two bathrooms. (2 sinks, 2 toilets, 1 tub, 1 shower)
- There is one 3" pipe (vertical in the picture) that is the vent through the roof
- Both sinks connect to the vertical vent
- The rest of the drainage is as follows Toilet (Elbow) -> Vent (Tee 3x3x3) -> Toilet (Tee 3x3x3) -> Shower (Wye 3x3x2) -> Tub (Wye 3x3x2) -> Main
- The tub and shower have always gurgled while draining, and draining slowly

So my first plan was...
1) Replace the vent stack as it is with both sinks draining into it (connected by tees)
2) Replace the other toilet drain (not seen here) as is (90 long sweep elbow)
3) Replace the 2nd toilet with a wye and 45 street flange (Lots of questions here... secondary plan to follow???)
4) Replace the shower drain as is (wye), but add additional wye horizontally (as a vent) till I get to the wall. Then run up in the wall until I can connect it to the vent above the sinks
5) Replace the tub as is (wye), but add a tee right after the p-trap and go vertical until I can go over and connect it to the vent above the sinks.
6) Connect the whole assembly with a metal banded coupling after it transitions to vertical in the unfinished area of my basement.

Second thoughts...
7) Is that second toilet vented properly? If it isn't my other plan was to split the drainage into two 3" pipes running side by side, one toilet/sink/shower. So there would be two vent pipes as well up until the point when I had to join them together again.

Does this all seem reasonable? Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance for the help and sorry for the long post!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks