Advice with small pump and pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Mar3232

Reaction score
Me again -- did a post on the tankless water heater and just bought one so that part is over. 100 bucks -- good deal.

So now, here's the plan for my 83 year old Mother and my remodeled garage/apartment.

I was going to run water from the house but don't have time (and by the way this is all temporary) -- so instead of doing that, I'm buying a 55 gallon rain barrel which will fit in a utility closet and just going to fill it when needed. Good thing is the barrel is only 25 bucks and the water will be at room temperature making life easy for the tankless water heater.

So now could you guys recommend a simple and hopefully inexpensive system to pump from that barrel to a pressure tank and will need a pressure switch also I would imagine. Any ideas on something cheap that will just do the job for now ? I need a pump that wouldn't be overkill.
I mean it only needs to get water out of a rain barrel -- the pressure tank will be right there next to it. (Mom thanks you).

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't think a typical sump pump will provide the desired pressure. Also, because it is potable water (that's an assumption that may not be valid), the pump needs to be compatible with that which generally means bronze or SS which adds to the price.

You'll have to get a bit creative, as you'll want a float switch in there to disable the pump so it doesn't run dry and fry itself. You'd probably need a self-priming pump, as gravity may not be sufficient, especially as the barrel got low. Most of the booster pump devices only boost about 30psi above the incoming, and when you start with nearly zero (0.43#/foot of height of the water in the barrel), you won't end up with much from that type. You almost want a 'real' well pump and storage tank. Here's one booster pump system, and there are many others that may offer a bit more, and with varying prices. I guess, some of this would depend on the actual water use needs, then size it accordingly.

http://www.towle-whitney.com/files/TW1000-15W-30_2T-3K_Flag_Frame_Submittal3.pdf

Last edited:

Mar3232

Reaction score
I'll check -- if not they also have approved water tanks. So that Towle system is everything I need -- looks like it and has an outboard pump. I suppose I'll just have to keep an eye out for the smallest well pump I can find and go from there. Money is a big issue. Electronics is what I do so I'll have low and high water sensors on the water tank. Just going to put a freeze proof spigot through the outside wall and fill that way.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
OMG stay away from those variable speed type controllers or any of the little tankless units like the Burcam, Simer, MQ, Presscontro, Masscontrol, etc. Just Google "jet pump" and get one with a regular pressure switch and add a little pressure tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks