Advice sought

Users who are viewing this thread

MassDIY

Reaction score
I recently had remove my 1980 Eljer toilet and am looking for a good performance replacement.

My specs are:
Excellent performance
Insulated tank (to eliminate "sweating" in summer)
Off white color
Either round or extended; standard height

--AND the HARD spec--

10" rough in to wall.

Except for the last spec, I would lean to one of the Toto models, probably the Drake (it is hard to find out whether or not a given model has an insulated tank, for some reason this doesn't seem to be a selling point anymore).

Can anyone suggest a model that would satisfy all these specs? I looked at the set of recommended toilets on Terry Love's web page, but almost all are for 12" rough-in.

OR, while the floor is open for repair, should I bite the bullet and change the plumbing to accommodate a 12" rough-in?

Thanks for your help and advice!

Mass DIY (Do It Yourself)

Spokaneman

Reaction score
Many of the Toto's use a Unifit mounting base, for which an adapter can be purchased for a 10" or 14" rough in using the standard toilet.

I bought two Toto's a month ago, and have found them to be excellent products.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
An alternative to the insulated tank is to install a tempering valve on the water supply. ALso, kits are available to retrofit isulation into any tank. I have not tried them, since we don't have that problem out here.

We like to provide DIY advice on these forums. I have seen other posters indicate that MA codes do not allow homeowners to do ANY plumbing work. Do you have to work after dark!!?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
I like Jimbo's recommendation.

My experience with kits is that its a waste of time.

MassDIY

Reaction score
Insulated tank-was Advice Sought

jimbo said:
An alternative to the insulated tank is to install a tempering valve on the water supply. ALso, kits are available to retrofit isulation into any tank. I have not tried them, since we don't have that problem out here.
-----------------------
I didn't think of this- good idea. However, the toilet is on the second floor, pretty far from the hot water, so it probably wouldn't work too well in my case.

-----------
We like to provide DIY advice on these forums. I have seen other posters indicate that MA codes do not allow homeowners to do ANY plumbing work. Do you have to work after dark!!?

---------------
Well, the Mass codes are probably like most states- you aren't supposed to work on plumbing unless you have a license. However, replacement of a wax ring in my opinion is not a permanent job.

The proof of the pudding is that as long as the fix would pass inspection (I try to make mine would by tapping into a lot of expertise, like this forum) then the spirit of the code is met- (in my opinion)

thanks for the suggestion.

MassDIY

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Isn't there a vanity cabinet next to the toilet? Put the tempering valve in the cabinet and just supply the tempered water from the cabinet.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I grew up in MA, and like most homes there we had a basement. I remember the tempering valve was in the cellar, right under the toilet.

Here in California, there are few restrictions on what a homeowner can do. Many do fairly big jobs with no permit. When the job scope reaches certain point, permits are required but a homeowner can pull his own permit. If I understand correctly, you cannot do that in MA. Be assured that no one on this forum will tell on you!

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Until HD started springing up all over, the Home Depot in Salem, NH just north of the Mass line had the biggest sales of any in New England. No sales tax and no plumbing police or electrical police. Lots of Mass. license plates and even trucks with Mass. contractor license numbers on them.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
When I was younger ( actually before I was old enough to drink or smoke) the MA state police used to run stings on route 1 coming coming back into MA from Seabrook, NH. They had no sales tax, and the liquor and cigarettes at the State stores were much less expensive.

MassDIY

Reaction score
jimbo said:
I grew up in MA, and like most homes there we had a basement. I remember the tempering valve was in the cellar, right under the toilet.

Here in California, there are few restrictions on what a homeowner can do. Many do fairly big jobs with no permit. When the job scope reaches certain point, permits are required but a homeowner can pull his own permit. If I understand correctly, you cannot do that in MA. Be assured that no one on this forum will tell on you!

Jimbo,

You CAN get a permit and do a job as a homeowner in Mass. I did my back deck a number of years ago. I haven't tried to get a permit for small plumbing jobs, but believe I could. Many do small plumbing jobs on their own (like replacing toilets) with no problem.

MassDIY

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As I understand it, plumbing permits are not given to homeowners in MA. You can get permits to build a deck, and do some other things yourself (probably most of a house), but plumbing is not one of them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks