Advice - Service Line protection plan

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Douche, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Douche

Douche New Member

I received a solicitation from my water company in regards to a service plan they are offering called - Service Line Protection Plan. I'm not a big fan of service plans in general but wanted some opinions on this offering. Essentially the water company will pay for any repairs or replacement, parts & labor should my water service line or customer shut off valve leak or need repair. The service line I am responsible for is from the curb stop to the shut off valve and meter at the house. It runs $60 a year...Thoughts? I've never even heard of issues with the service lines nor had I ever heard of this service.
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

When was your house built?
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

Unless your service line is polybutylene or galvanized steel, there is no reason why it should fail completely. If it is PVC it might break at one end or the other, but that is a relatively inexpensive repair. I would not enroll in the plan, given what you have told us so far.
  4. Douche

Douche New Member

The house is 6 years old...From what i can see coming from outside to the water meter its not PVC...I assume galvanized pipe...I think the water company is using the scare tactic of the pipe leaking underground someplace...i appreciate the advice...
  5. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

It's called a "cash cow". Water companies like them.

I replaced a shutoff valve after about 35 years. That is all. That would have been $2100 of "insurance" for something that would have cost about $150 if I didn't do it myself.

6. All depends on your financial circumstances. If you are retired and can't afford a large bill to repair/replace down the road, I'd opt for the $60 a year. In my area they can get anywhere from $10-$80 a linear foot to replace a water line.

$5 a month is a reasonable charge if your water line is a difficult one to replace. Wait till they replace the entire line and then cancel the plan once it's new. :eek:
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  7. it sounds like a rip off

they arent selling you anything you already dont have....

in this city the water company is responsible up to the curb box...

anything on the other side is my responsibility....

actually its a great deal for them,
    if they can get enough people to
    pay them an extra 60 per year,

that can cover tons of waterline replacements...

the average replacement costs about 1200-or so....

but if you have a real old line, it might be worth the gamble
  8. Cass

Cass Plumber

I doubt it is galvanized pipe on a 6 year old house. most likely it is copper. I would pass on the $60 per month.
  9. Douche

Douche New Member

I checked the line again. Its actually a thick black flexible tubing which is connected to an approx. 1 foot copper pipe and then its the water meter then copper tubing throughout my house...
  10. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

Call the builder and find out exactly what it is. About 15 years ago they were using a product called BlueMax. Was supposidly supperior to copper and easy to work with, yada, yada. Most of it has since been replaced because it would bust. Maybe you have some new "wonder pipe" that will fail prematurely (but probably not).

I've got an 83 year old galv steel waterline coming into the house. I opted for the $35/yr protection. I figure I can get a good ROI on it as long as it busts in the next 60 years!

Thx,
    Jason
  11. Cass

Cass Plumber

The house is 6 years old. They weren't useing Blue Max then they were replacing it.
  12. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

Never said it was. Said it could be some new "wonder pipe" ... a whole different kind of animal. Doesn't hurt to find out exactly what it is before we say its a waste of $.

Jason
  13. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

It is probably polyethylene and should have a good service life. If you are concerned, then buy the plan in about 5 to 10 years, if they still have it by then. Normally the only place that pipe should give you problems would be at either end where it connects to the copper, and even then it would depend on which type of connectors were used.
  14. Douche

Douche New Member

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm not going to sign up for the service...I appreciate the advice....