Advice requested: wring an air compressor motor

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by henny_316, Jan 10, 2011.

1. henny_316

henny_316 New Member

I purchased a 60 gallon air compressor Kobalt 60-Gallon Cast Iron Oil Lubricated Air Compressor with Heavy Duty Induction Motor
    from Lowes. It didn't include the power cable. I purchased 3/C 12 awg SJ00W and a 20A/250V straight blade plug (I know this says 125V, I actually have the 250V). Where do I hook up the black, green, and white cables to inside the motor and the plug? Here are pictures I took and drew. The posts next to #3 are the only open posts that I see.

Thanks for your help!

Edit *The yellow wire off of post 4 isn't yellow, it's white.*

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The wires connect to the pressure switch, not the motor.
  3. henny_316

henny_316 New Member

That actually makes a whole lot of sense. Although the pressure switch didn't appear to have a breakout panel where the motor does have a notch that is cable sized open (bottom right of the last picture.) I'll check that out again when I get home though. Thanks!
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  4. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Never saw a Lowes rig without a plug. Was it a return?

Absolutely looks like a 120v rig to me, coming from the pressure switch, where your 120v plug should come in.

Better get better information or save that receipt for the burn out.
  5. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

it is a 240 volt

Attached Files:

6. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

I just think we need a law about HP ratings. 3.7 HP is likely derived from a 1.5 HP motor plus its [fake] service factor plus a lot of fiction.

How about those 5 HP shop vacs that plug into your 15 amp 120v outlet? WOW!

Someone actually sued Sears years ago and won a settlement on this issue.

Since its a dedicated 240v rig, it would have been nice if they ran a black and red wire to the motor along with a ground from the switch.