Advice regarding polybutylene piping

Users who are viewing this thread

Jechow

Reaction score
I have polybutylene piping (with copper insert fittings) in my home. There are currently no issues with the plumbing but I was wonder what I should do? For example:

1. Should I be pro-active and get the piping replaced with copper piping eventhough there is no issues? Or

2. Should I be proactive and install shutoff values to various runs of my house so that if a leak occurs, I can shut off that specific run and continue to use the rest of my home. This will option would allow me to not replace the poly pipes until a problem does occurs. OR

3. Something else?

Thanks

Last edited:

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
If you have the money. I would replace it all. You don't need to use copper. I would install pex.

Jechow

Reaction score
Thanks Patrick88. I would prefer not to spend the money if it is not necessary. From what I have researched, it seems that most of the problems with poly plumbing occurs at the fittings. Thus, I am reluctant to change the plumbing until necessary (ie: when there is an actual leak and ideally multiple leaks).

Thanks.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I have not done much with PB, but the few I have had pin holes. It was not just one poping up every now and then. It would be like 5 at a time.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pb

The usual course of action with PB is to do nothing until you have to. It is inconsistant. Some systems will never have a problem and others had it shortly after installation. Your odds of not having a problem increase as time goes by without a failure, since systems that fail usually occur fairly soon. Soon being defined as several years after installation, often just after the 12 years time window expired.

Jechow

Reaction score
The usual course of action with PB is to do nothing until you have to. It is inconsistant. Some systems will never have a problem and others had it shortly after installation. Your odds of not having a problem increase as time goes by without a failure, since systems that fail usually occur fairly soon. Soon being defined as several years after installation, often just after the 12 years time window expired.

Would it be prudent for me to have hire a plumber to install shut off values to the various runs in my house? Thus if a leak does occur, I can shut off that run and continue to use the rest of my house until a plumber can replace than run with PEX or copper plumbing.

Thanks

JCH

Reaction score
My understanding is that PB pipe becomes brittle from the inside-out due to a reaction with Chlorine. The lawsuit settlements suggest that this typically happens after 10-15 years service.

It will look fine on the outside, but will be brittle on the inside.

Given that, I would think that cutting this pipe to install shut-offs would be risky as it could promote accelerated failure of the pipe.

If it leaks, then you have until May 2009 to file a claim under the settlement. They'll replace all the PB pipe in your house for free (but not cover the water damage).

Does this help?
.../j

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The time to make a claim here in the US has expired in many instances. Apparently the US & Canadian settlements are different in that aspect.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
yes chlorene does effect the pipe in high concentrations and there is evidence that even in normal concentrations it can lead to pre-mature failure. There are tons of studies on pb online, most of them so dry and technical that reading through them makes your brain hurt. Bottom line is though, it was (and is) probably not a good choice for water piping. UV radiation effects it, chlorene effects it and god knows what else.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks