Advice - Pex size from meter to Hot Water Tank...48 FU

Users who are viewing this thread

Brianslink

Reaction score
New construction home. It's approx 90' from the meter to the sleeve in my home foundation then another 65' in the crawlspace to the water heater. I calculated 48 fuxture units for this house. The city will put in a 1" water meter. I was planning on doing 1-1/4" pex because the ID is right at 1" and run it from the meter all the way to the water heater. I'm afraid of the friction loss I will have in 155' of pex. Will I be OK with 1-1/4" Pex?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Let me start by pointing out the fact that I am not a plumber. That said, here's what I I would do and why. I would use 1-1/2" PVC. Why? I don't trust Pex underground. It hasn't been around long enough to prove it will hold up underground. Why 1-1/2" instead of 1-1/4"? I have a habit of going larger than necessary when the cost is minimal. Your trenching and installation costs will be the same, so the only difference in cost is the difference between pipe sizes and fittings. Going larger than necessary may seem like a needless expense, but what if one day you find you need more capacity than the minimum?

BizzyBeePlumbing

Reaction score
You have the distance and the fixture units but I didnt see the high low water pressure. I personally would run copper underground to the house and run pex inside the structure. If your sizing is right and 1" is required, you are good with 11/4. According to Zurn and others, their "friction loss is so minimal it not even noticed". I still over size the pex. Now, if you are using Uponor, the ID is the same as copper. If you run an all pex or plastic water service, get with your electrcian for proper grounding per your code.

Brianslink

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. I do not know my high and low pressure...I will have to call my municipal source and find out. I believe I will run Upnor pex inside a poly pipe sleeve. If I ever have a problem with this buried water line then I can just disconnect one end, pull it through the sleeve and replace. So, it sounds like 1-1/4" Upnor may indeed be a good way to go.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your choice on the material. As for the pressure, invest a few dollars on a pressure gauge that will record the high and low pressures. I would not rely on the city to give accurate numbers. Just attach the gauge to a faucet and turn the faucet on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks