Advice on wire I used??

Users who are viewing this thread

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Speaking of toxic, years ago when my wife worked in a lab, they discovered the adhesive in electrical tape contained minute levels of Tolulene.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Skin effect has no bearing at all on 99.9% of any wiring systems we will ever work with.

That is true unless you have one of those Variable Speed Drives (VFD), also sometimes called Constant Pressure Pumps. VFD's send power to the motor similar to a radio signal, which travels on the skin or surface of the wire. Plus VFD's create high voltage spikes that are accentuated by a reflective wave or "ringing", which increases the voltage spikes even further as the wire gets longer.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
When I run a VOC test on a new public water supply well, I typically show a trace amount of toluene. Last month I ran a 24 hr test at 300 gom on a new well. This was the first time it came back as none detected for toluene. The reporting level for toluene is 0.5,ug/l. The maximum level allowed in drinking water is 1,000 ug/l.

That's what I've understood, the toluene being detected was coming from the electrical tape or pipe wrap being used to tape the wire to the drop pipe.

On this last test pump, it was a 125 hp submersible with 4/0 wire on 6" drop pipe. We used SS 3/4" banding every 10 ft to attach the wire to the pipe, instead of adhesive tape, because of the weight of the wire.

Last edited:

KennethP.

Reaction score
The first thing I noticed right off back is that you didn't say if you had a 3wire or 2wire pump, just that the wire's ground wire wasn't insulated.

2wire pump, I would use the 2 insulated wires as your hot wires(black wires) and your green wire for the non insulated wire for it to be ok but I would never recommend using that wire on a 3wire pump, where you have 3 hot wires instead of just 2 hot wires.

On a 115v motor, I would put your two black wires on the 2 insulated wires and use the green wire for non insulated wire.
2 wire

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
That is true unless you have one of those Variable Speed Drives (VFD), also sometimes called Constant Pressure Pumps. VFD's send power to the motor similar to a radio signal, which travels on the skin or surface of the wire. Plus VFD's create high voltage spikes that are accentuated by a reflective wave or "ringing", which increases the voltage spikes even further as the wire gets longer.

I thought you were wearing a tin foil hat until I pulled up this interesting bit of info on VFD cabling- http://www.newark.com/pdfs/techarticles/alphaWire/VFDCRVFDS.pdf Sounds like you better keep your 'Nad's away from those pumps when they start up!

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
TWISTED SUBMERSIBLE PUMP CABLE
NSF ANSI 61 APPROVED,
FDA APPROVED FOR USE IN POTABLE WATER

http://www.paigeelectric.com/specs/P7323-SP.pdf

The following CDC link is a case where a microwave technician at a television station tested high for lead in his blood. It was determined later that he made a habit of chewing on the plastic insulation he stripped from wire ends. The plastic wire insulation was tested and found to have very high levels of lead.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00020984.htm

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I thought you were wearing a tin foil hat until I pulled up this interesting bit of info on VFD cabling- http://www.newark.com/pdfs/techarticles/alphaWire/VFDCRVFDS.pdf Sounds like you better keep your 'Nad's away from those pumps when they start up!

That would be funny if it wasn't so true. I'll bet I've heard the tin foil hat thing 100 times over the years when I discuss VFDs. But just like you when they research what I said they find out I'm right. There are so many bad things about VFDs that I use to teach classes on the subject. But when everyone in the class is rolling their eyes and making tin foil hats it lets me know how little most installers teally understand about VFDs.

I get accused of badmouthing VFDs just because I sell CSVs. But the truth is I came up with CSVs because of all the bad stuff I learned and experienced with VFDs.

The last class I taught in Vegas on the subject there were several VFD engineers sitting in the back row taking notes. That is where the idea for "sleep mode" and "true sinusoidal waves" came from. I no longer teach these classes as I hate educating my competition.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks