Advice on Whole House Sand and Sediment Filters

Users who are viewing this thread

mtyakker

Reaction score
I recently, 9/3/13 posted a question about installing a Lakos Twist to Clean filter and recieved exactly the information I was looking for from Wet - Boots. Found the fittings at a local Lowes. The water softener company that we rent from just changed out our older Softner. It had quite a bit of sand in it, this could have happened before installing the Lakos, but I do know there is still some sediment getting through because we have a cartridge filter on the opposite side of the softner from the Lakos. He strongly suggested another cartridge filter on the incoming side of the softner , inbetween the Lakos and the softner. Any advice on the Cartridge filters would be appreciated. Looking at what lowes carries, their was a see thru product by Whirlpool at a cost of 42.95 that looked like it would fit the bill. The see thru option would seem to be very helpful. He's telling us this would help protect the softner, and allow the softner to do it's job. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Mike.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
You need to get the proper cartridges that meet the recommendations of the water softener folks. Since you already have a cartridge filter on the output side, the input cartridge can maybe be spec'd to pass larger particles than the output cartridge. Or, if the input cartridge recommendation matches the existing output cartridge, then you might experiment with a finer output cartridge, to more completely 'polish' the water.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You just need to be careful that the filters on the inlet not restrict the flow so much as to reduce the backwash (DLFC) flow rate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks