Advice on whether toilet drain will work with close 180deg turn

Users who are viewing this thread

blinzeln

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the pic below and if a toilet drain will work in this close/tight transition. For some reason when I plumbed my house I was stuck on exactly how to do the basement level. I followed someone else's advice on how to do this - and now looking at it - I am wondering if this is even going to work? Unfortunately it has been encased in concrete for 7 years, so I am hoping I am not in trouble here as we are now getting ready to install. If this is a bad scenario would a jet assist help in this case? Or am I in trouble either way? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

p1.jpg

Thanks,

Mike

blinzeln

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. What would have been the proper way to do this?

blinzeln

Reaction score
The pipe behind the toilet is vent only... Pipe to left is Shower and kitchen sink drain only.

blinzeln

Reaction score
Yeah, remembering back I think that was my issue - I couldn't figure out how to get a vertical only vent in this situation where I was tying in horizontally (everywhere else in the house was a vertical tie in so this was not an issue). A plumber gave me the advice to do it this way. Oh, well. Think there will be any issues? At this point as long as it works, or even semi-works... Though I am interested in how I should have done this....

Thanks,

Mike

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yeah, remembering back I think that was my issue - I couldn't figure out how to get a vertical only vent in this situation where I was tying in horizontally (everywhere else in the house was a vertical tie in so this was not an issue). A plumber gave me the advice to do it this way. Oh, well. Think there will be any issues? At this point as long as it works, or even semi-works... Though I am interested in how I should have done this....

Thanks,

Mike

These two guides for homeowners may be helpful:

http://www.klickitatcounty.org/documentcenter/view/103

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

Last edited by a moderator:

blinzeln

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Since the cleanout is within 6 feet, had I gone straight up the wall with that could that have acted as the vent even though it is on the main line out? Or should I have ran the main toilet drain toward the wall, gone up with the vent there, and then continued the drain to the right to hit the main line. Sorry if dumb questions...

But thanks to all for the advice, I am just glad I don't have to break up the concrete and redo it!

Mike

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the sink or shower is "properly" vented, then you would not have needed the one behind the toilet, and the piping could have been installed differently so you would not have had the sanitary tee in the horizontal line.

blinzeln

Reaction score
One last question: with that toilet vent wrongly installed horizontally off the bottom of the toilet - is it possible that solids could sort of bounce back up into the vent portion and remain there rather than going straight down the drain?

Thanks,

Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks