Advice on Venting for Bathroom Re-model

Users who are viewing this thread

GrnMitsu

Reaction score
Hi All - I am a DIY and am remodeling my bathroom down to the studs.
I need advice on if I need to change venting.

There will be 31 fixture Units in the house. Venting is 1.5 inch with one 3 inch out the roof.
The bathroom I am remodeling will have 7 fixture units (1 toilet, 1 bathtub, Double Vanity w/ 2 faucets)

Should I add another vent (currently there are only 2) before the p-trap from the bathtub?
Should I increase the vent pipe diameter to 2 inches?
Is One 3 inch vent enough for 31 fixture units in Ohio?

Diagram.jpg

WP_001044.jpg

View attachment Bathroom.pdf

Thank you for your thoughts!

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
To answer your last question first. If 3" were not adequate for a vent, then it would definitely be too small for a drain. But, you do NOT have a 3" vent, you have TWO 1 1/2" vents which are the equivalent of a 2" vent, regardless of the size pipe through the roof. Whatever you are using to vent the toilet will probably have to be 2", and you do not need 3" for the two sinks.

Last edited:

GrnMitsu

Reaction score
Thanks for your response hj. The vent for the toilet is what really concerns me. The toilet vent is 7 inches from the p-trap on the bathtub and 1 foot 5 inches from where the 1.5 inch dia. drain for the tub meets the 3 inch dia. drain for the toilet. The yellow arrow in the first picture below indicates where the T is for the vent. Both the bath and the toilet share this vent and I do not think this is adequate.

ToiletBathVent.jpg

The second picture shows where the 1.5 inch dia. drain (green arrow) and vent for the bathtub meet the 3 inch dia. toilet drain (red arrow).

bathToiletjoin.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

Technically, in most areas the tub vent would be too small to use with the toilet and the tee would be an improper fitting to make the connection, BUT, it depends on your code, since some versions are very lenient about it. In most cases, one of the two vents would have to be 2" until it reaches the 3" pipe through the roof.

GrnMitsu

Reaction score
Thanks again hj.

What are your thoughts on adding a 2 inch vent upstream before the p-trap on the bathtub?

It did not seem like enough venting. I found a good resource "Plumbing a house" by Peter Hemp. I posted a picture with a very good table for vents below.

WP_001075.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks