Advice on stuck nut at stop valve

Users who are viewing this thread

cgupta

Reaction score
Hello all – I am trying to replace my toilet. But I am stuck because I am unable to open the nut that is attached to the copper piping. I need to replace this with a flexible hose. My house is about 10 years old and this was part of the original install. Home Depot advisor mentioned I could cut the pex but that is something I’ve never done and would like to avoid it if I can. I have tried WD-40 but it didn’t work. Any ideas?
IMG_5589.jpeg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That pipe coming out of the floor looks like copper to me, not PEX. And just to be clear, you are turning it Counter Clockwise looking down? You should also be holding the valve from spinning with a larger wrench than you're using on the nut.

Since its a brass nut on a brass threads, it should come off easily... But some people like to use pipe dope on their compression threads and here is one good reason Not to use pipe dope on compression threads. The wrong type of dope can harden up and dry like glue between the threads. And if you want you could use a proper penetrating oil which WD40 is not.

cgupta

Reaction score
That pipe coming out of the floor looks like copper to me, not PEX. And just to be clear, you are turning it Counter Clockwise looking down? You should also be holding the valve from spinning with a larger wrench than you're using on the nut.

Since its a brass nut on a brass threads, it should come off easily... But some people like to use pipe dope on their compression threads and here is one good reason Not to use pipe dope on compression threads. The wrong type of dope can harden up and dry like glue between the threads. And if you want you could use a proper penetrating oil which WD40 is not.
Appreciate your reply. I understand the pipe coming out of the floor is pex. What I meant is that if I’m unable to loosen the nut, I may have to cut the pex and then put in a shark bite start stop valve. yes, looks like some sort of glue has been used and that’s exactly I needed help with. I could try some penetrating oil, but would it be able to to seep and cut through the dope? I know something like liquid wrench is great with the rusted nuts but wondering it’ll help here.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
OK.. I can just barely make out the PEX crimp ring. Its hard to say whether a penetrating oil will affect dope.. or even if it is pipe dope that is causing the issue.

In my tool box are large very grippy pliers that I use that do not take no for an answer from tiny compression nuts. I would still recommend a Large pliers or wrench on the stop and a slightly smaller or equal sized pliers on the nut until something gives or breaks. (with the main water off in case the thing that breaks is the stop valve)

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree this shouldn't be so hard. What tools are you using. It should come off easily.

cgupta

Reaction score
Going to try three in one penetrating oil that I got from Home Depot. i’m using a wrench and a groove plier to grip. I know I could use a vice grip but I don’t have that. I will let you know if this set up works.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks