advice on how to remove old faucet stem

Users who are viewing this thread

bgovoni

Reaction score
Hey guys, didn't know where to turn to but found this forum. I have an old style bathroom faucet that. The hot side has no flow going threw the output on the tub/shower. I have taken off the cold and hot side stems and inspected. The hot side I pulled out bits of rubber in the shaft. But still no flow. When I turn on the water without the stems, water flows directly out. So that tells me the middle stem that controls shower/tub flow has a problem or is clogged. But I cannot remove it... I am able to remove the nut that holds it in. Check out the pic, when I turn it it just turns. How can I remove it? I have tried wd-40 and lots of turning and wiggling...

I am at the point where I am about to just replace the whole assembly but if I can just remove the middle stem. It will save a lot of time and money.

index.php

http://imgur.com/74yCytd

Attachments

• faucet.jpg
    faucet.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 211
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will need to enlarge the hole through the surround to get at the stem with a socket. All you have done so far is remove the packing nut.

bgovoni

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the back end of the faucet. I am pretty sure I have removed the socket? There is nothing left for a socket to attach to.

Attachments

• faucet2.jpg
    faucet2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 125

bgovoni

Reaction score
So you recommend me just cutting it out and replacing it all? That is at the point what I was thinking.

Btw, thanks for helping.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You just need to jiggle, and pull harder, even to the point of hitting it to drive it out. put the handle back on to give you something to work against.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks