Advice on changing two handle shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

dblee50

Reaction score
I'm trying to help my son out from long distance. His shower valves are shot, he can't get them out to change stems, they've destroyed both stems with vice grips and I'm not sure what else is wrong. When I go up there in a week or so, I am thinking of changing out shower valve body since the old one is installed with union connections. My concern is that the new body female flare part and the old tailpiece (as pfister calls it) may not mate right and leak. Attached is the old assembly and the new one I have. It looks like from the old installation that they sweated maybe a copper male fitting on the ends of the water lines and connected the tailpiece in this manner. Assuming I can get them off the lines without damaging anything I would just use the new tailpieces that are threaded and all would work. Also, is anything needed between the flange and the union or is it just torqued until there is no leakage? thanks

Attachments

• new valve.jpg
    new valve.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 351
  • old valve.JPG
    old valve.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 383

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The union will thread onto the male adapters. Use either tape, dope, or both on the threads.
The flat surface of the unions can go on dry, or with a little dope.

For the tub spout, I would use new pipe nipples and 90, or use copper.
I like brass, not galvanized.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, repairing an existing, non-compliant valve is okay, replacing it entirely calls for bringing it up to current codes! IOW, just replacing with a similar valve usually won't cut it with code enforcement authorities. Current code requires a shower valve to have anti-scald technology.

dblee50

Reaction score
The union will thread onto the male adapters. Use either tape, dope, or both on the threads.
The flat surface of the unions can go on dry, or with a little dope.

For the tub spout, I would use new pipe nipples and 90, or use copper.
I like brass, not galvanized.
Thanks Terry. I saw the galvanized stuff and did plan to swap it out with brass. As far as the shower head union, I'll re use that one. Should I use any pipe dope on the flanged parts or leave them metal to metal? thanks again.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I use pipe compound on the union faces. I doubt that the "code enforcement cops" will even know what he is doing. Unless someone is keeping track of EVERY two handle valve purchased with name and addresses.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
LOts of people do things that don't pass code...but, rather than patch in something that does not meet code, it's better to take the opportunity to bring it up to code. Never know, when it comes time to sell what the home inspector will say and you may need to fix it for the sale then. They ARE safer. Your call, your house.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have NEVER seen an "inspection report" that called for replacing a two handled faucet. I have seen dozens of them, including one of my houses, which reported multiple missing screws in electrical wall plates however.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Selling a house to a family with small children may be a factor...anti-scald is nice for everyone, but can be life-saving for the young or elderly whose skin is thinner and can be severely burned much quicker should there be an issue. Depending on your plumbing layout, you may never experience a hot or cold spike while taking a shower, but it can be dangerous if you do. A modern shower valve essentially stops that from being an issue, which is why they are now required.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks