Advice on bathroom sink drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Daniel Kelly

Reaction score
The plastic threads on my P trap are buggered and I need to replace it. My home was built in 1989 and I guess things have changed at Charlotte pipe since then. The new p trap I purchased has two issues. The old p trap with a chrome nut did not have anything on the inside of the trap for the slip joint, it looked just like a regular socket. Then new trap had the thing to help a slip joint seal and the trap could not go up into the nut side far enough for the nut to reach the threads. I took a dremel tool and removed the little flange and then the chrome nut screwed right on. That's when I discovered that the new trap was a little larger than the old trap.

2017-01-22 14.33.15.jpg

Because it's larger, the tailpiece and P trap don't line up any longer. They both are Charlotte Pipe number 708, just 30 years apart when they were made. The rest of the plumbing is glued so I really don't want to cut it all out and redo it, so I am looking at alternatives. The P trap is 1 1/2 and the tailpiece is 1 1/4. I am thinking that I need to immediately reduce from 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 as soon as possible and then use some kind of flexible pipe to attach to the tailpiece. Does anyone have any specific fittings that would work in this situation?

2017-01-22 16.42.23.jpg

Thanks.

Daniel Kelly

Reaction score
In post 5 (the last picture I posted) both P traps are 1 1/2. One is S40 PVC DWV and the other is brass. The nut sizes are vastly different.

2017-01-24 20.51.15.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks