Advice on basement bathroom layout and venting

Users who are viewing this thread

tdejonge7684

Reaction score
Hello,

I own a excavation company that installs water mains, services, storm, and sanitary pipe outside, my interior plumbing knowledge is lacking.

My new basement bathroom was just framed and I am getting ready to cut the slab.
I just wanted to get some opinions before I started cutting if this layout will work.

One concern is venting, I will probably have to use a AAV in the lav and am not sure if that is sufficient for venting the toilet and shower tub.

Another concern is after cutting the 4" existing cast and placing a WYE to service the bathroom the wye is pointing downhill of the bathroom drains. So I will be draining from the bathroom downhill to a wye and then back up to the existing cast drain pipe. This is hard to explain, I will add a picture.

Thanks and below are the pictures.

Proposed layout

Existing wet vent

Connection to existing cast iron, this is the WYE in question.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marine

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the best option but is it possible to vent everything up the walls and tie into the existing vent near the ceiling? Looks like it may be tight but you could always run it up beside it and tie it in upstairs. Would probably have drywall repair to do then tho.

tdejonge7684

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the best option but is it possible to vent everything up the walls and tie into the existing vent near the ceiling? Looks like it may be tight but you could always run it up beside it and tie it in upstairs. Would probably have drywall repair to do then tho.
It would be a mess trying to tie into that, there is a vent 20' away in another room but that doesn't seem logical.

Marine

Reaction score
I'm no pro so can't offer much advice, but as long as your waste lines have the proper drop, I don't see why your layout wouldn't work.

I'm in the process of moving plumbing around in my basement too. I've just been using an electric concrete saw and boy is it messy. So much dust. I've been making a dome out of painters plastic in each area I cut. Wish I had that jackhammer pictured instead of a sledge.

Best of luck to you.

tdejonge7684

Reaction score
I'm no pro so can't offer much advice, but as long as your waste lines have the proper drop, I don't see why your layout wouldn't work.

I'm in the process of moving plumbing around in my basement too. I've just been using an electric concrete saw and boy is it messy. So much dust. I've been making a dome out of painters plastic in each area I cut. Wish I had that jackhammer pictured instead of a sledge.

Best of luck to you.
Sometimes its nice to be a excavator, having all the big tools right in my shop.
Some people think, how am I going to dig that up, I just go grab a mini excavator and skid steer.

I am using a electric cut off saw like pictured below and then jack hammering the concrete to keep nice even cuts.
415Y%2B8n8tkL.jpg

Home depot rents a electric jack hammer, you could also cut your concrete in squares and just use a spud/pry bar to pop them out in nice squares.

Can you run water and just wet cut with your saw, no(minimal) dust that way.

Marine

Reaction score
I bet that is nice. I'm definitely jealous. I've been contemplating buying a skid steer or compact tractor but would only really need it for a year or so to get about 1/3 acre of brush and a lot of 1" trees cleared. I have a lot of yard fill work and leveling to do too. I have a buddy who lets me borrow his backhoe or compact tractor but I don't wanna borrow it for as much as I now need it. I thought about buying an old skid steer, fixing it up, using it, and selling it when done. I'd probably end up keeping it tho. There's almost always a need for a tractor. Too much other stuff to do right now tho.

I have the exact same saw. I've been cutting them in 2' lengths and then busting them with a sledge. It actually breaks up pretty easy after cutting.

I've sprayed a little water while cutting but didn't wanna go overboard. Have you managed to find a way to minimize dust? With the motor being towards the back you could probably keep the floor pretty wet.

That electric saw works great and especially for the price.

Sorry to drag your thread off topic.

tdejonge7684

Reaction score
I bet that is nice. I'm definitely jealous. I've been contemplating buying a skid steer or compact tractor but would only really need it for a year or so to get about 1/3 acre of brush and a lot of 1" trees cleared. I have a lot of yard fill work and leveling to do too. I have a buddy who lets me borrow his backhoe or compact tractor but I don't wanna borrow it for as much as I now need it. I thought about buying an old skid steer, fixing it up, using it, and selling it when done. I'd probably end up keeping it tho. There's almost always a need for a tractor. Too much other stuff to do right now tho.

I have the exact same saw. I've been cutting them in 2' lengths and then busting them with a sledge. It actually breaks up pretty easy after cutting.

I've sprayed a little water while cutting but didn't wanna go overboard. Have you managed to find a way to minimize dust? With the motor being towards the back you could probably keep the floor pretty wet.

That electric saw works great and especially for the price.

Sorry to drag your thread off topic.
I just turn on the water until the dust quits and keep the hose a few feet away. Its not made for wet cuts (electric) but it works just fine so far for me, you can see the hose in my pictures.

Marine

Reaction score
I think I'll try using a hose. I'm a boilermaker and we cut into tubes with grinders that still have some water in them and I've yet to be shocked. No different with concrete I guess.

You know, as close to the concrete as that main wye is will you be able to get the proper slope for all of your waste lines? I know they say the minimum slope is 1/8" per foot but 1/4" is ideal. If it's not you could tie in further downstream, branch off the main with a 4" wye for the toilet and another 4"x2" wye for the shower and off it for the sink. That might give you more slope if needed.

As far as your venting you could run them all up the walls, tie them all into 2", and shoot over to that vent that's 20' away. You wouldn't have to worry about the aav then.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A proper vent can run up through any wall that goes up to the attic, and the vent can go through the roof or tie into another vent that does.
It does not need to be directly above the proposed bath.

Take some careful measurements of how deep your wye is, because every other fixture drain must slope down to it. When you put a trap below a proposed shower, or the closet bend in the ground, it will be clear how much you need to maintain the grade. The fittings all need to be below the concrete enough to be protected from it by a layer of sand or soil.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks