Advice needed, well water, plumbing and treatment

Users who are viewing this thread

Deeiche

Reaction score
Been following the forum for a number of years, which is why I use Toto toilets in my residence and a rental house. Now I need advice for a 2nd home we own in rural northern New Mexico.

I deleted the remainder 'cause I have a new post with more test results.

Could really use some help.

thanks

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
After a quick look, I have some comments.

pH 9.19 is high. I am not sure what all of the numbers mean. What is that 1.6 number that comes next on the pH line?

You did not post iron or manganese.

You did not post hardness, although I suspect that could be derived from the other info. Looks low. But usually they do that hardness number for you.

Deeiche

Reaction score
Yep, PH is very high. The water is very alkaline. The PQL (Practical Quantification Limit) is 1.6

I went to the local testing lab after I realized the water was very "hard", most likely alkaline. I told them I wanted to know the composition of my water and they said they would do a "cation and anion" test. I should have remembered to read here before getting water tested, but I did not. I have not received the final report, they said they would calculate hardness in final report.

A little back story on the well, from the well record. It is ~1520' deep, perforations at 1480-1520, the depth to water 715' deep, estimated yield 20gpm. The spigot at the pressure tank produces good flow, though I have not measure gpm. I'm not looking forward to ever replacing the pump, it will be one expense service fee.

After a quick look, I have some comments.

pH 9.19 is high. I am not sure what all of the numbers mean. What is that 1.6 number that comes next on the pH line?

You did not post iron or manganese.

You did not post hardness, although I suspect that could be derived from the other info. Looks low. But usually they do that hardness number for you.

Deeiche

Reaction score
Here is an update. I had my water tested by Kar Labs too. Amazing how this low cost test does more than my local testing facility and gets it to me 2 days after receipt.

I'm attaching both, as I have yet figured out a way to post properly formatted tables with this forum software.

Snapshot from Kar Labs test
Manganese, 0.020 mg/L
Iron, 0.23 mg/L
Sodium, 424 mg/L (20mg/L standard)
Sulfate, 462 mg/L (250mg/L standard)
Hardness is low, 1.4 GPG.
pH indicates water is basic @ 9.2,
tds is high, 1300 mg/L (500mg/L standard)

Alkalinity, 399 mg/L
Bicarbonate, 347 mg/L
Carbonate, 51.7 mg/L

Suggestions?

Attachments

• KAR_Labs-Page2-7.pdf
    85 KB · Views: 296
  • Hall_Environmental-Page_2.pdf
    98 KB · Views: 645
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks