Advice needed on round ADA toilet and bidet seat for disabled family member

Users who are viewing this thread

oddlycalm

Reaction score
We are looking to get the best round ADA toilet and bidet seat for a family member that has become disabled from the side effects of chemo and radiation treatment in the late 80''s and early 90's.

Toto would be my first choice but they don't offer a round ADA model. He suffers from bad hemroids due to periodic constipation from pain meds so a good rectal jet is important. We want him to be able to remain as independent as he can. This is not the setting for tinkering, experimenting or plumber call backs so we want the best we can get.

oc

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My favorite toilets for people that have been through radiation and chemo are the Drake II and the Ultramax II.
These are elongated bowls that come out 28.75" from the back wall.
They come with CEFIONTECT and double cyclone rinse.

TOTO does make the CST423 Promenade round front that is 27.25" from the back wall.
This can be ordered with our without CEFIONTECT.
Also the TOTO Entrada CST243EF, round with universal height.

Most any of the bidet seats or washlets have been doing a good job. I've been selling bidet seats for over ten years, and it's like buying a toaster. They are that reliable.
I sell a lot of the Biobidet seats, and many of those are repeat buys. Of course Toto and INAX, make good seats too.
These come in both round and elongated.

One of the things I noticed when going through my surgeries last year, was how cold affected me. Having something warm to sit on during the night was a huge help.
Sitting on a cold seat, when the cold was bothering me so much was jarring.

If you know anyone going through radiation, and chemo, the best thing you can do for them is getting them a bidet seat. I can't say this too much.
When the doctors examined me, one of the comments they alway make, is that I have taken less of a beating then the other patients. And yet, I have found the entire experience to be horrible. So the doctors are telling me that the rest of their patients are going old school? I feel very sorry for them. And unless you have experienced radiation yourself, you have no idea of the pain.

Let me repeat that.

You have no idea of the pain.

Last edited:

oddlycalm

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, very helpful. The existing toilet has a 26.75" depth and because of the small space between the back wall and tub adding depth would make getting to the toilet awkward. The only model I can find that fits the ADA / shallow depth bill is the TOTO DALTON CST733F. Some of the reviews of it's flush action are not encouraging. Any comments?

oc

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
updated 6/17/2014

The Dalton is no longer made.
TOTO now has the Entrada, CST243EF that is much better.

The Kohler Cimarron has been improved over the years. That would work too.

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I'm confused as to why it needs to be round?

I have an elongated ada height toilet, and I'm far from being in pain or being disabled...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A true ADA toilet, as specified by the American Disabilities Act would require it to be elongated and have the top of the seat 17" or more.
The person posting has a very small bathroom though. I have a few customers like that, small rooms and they like something as small as possible. Personally, I would never install a round bowl in a home I own. I would move the wall first.
Well, I say I would. Okay, in some extreme cases I would install a round bowl.

promenade_round_front.jpg

Last edited:

oddlycalm

Reaction score
Yes, it's a small room with minimal space between the back wall and tub. When someone is in hospice it's not a good time to be moving walls or doing installations that take more than a couple hours. I'm just looking to solve a problem quickly and with the least muss and fuss possible so he can be more independent and comfortable. Also, he's down to 140lbs. so what used to be a cramped seat when he was 85lbs. heavier is a fine fit these days.

Thank you for the comment on Dalton availability. I will try to run one down.

My condolences on the cancer treatment Terry. I've been through radiation and chemo for lymphoma so I truly understand.

Once again, thanks for the help.

oc

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks