Reaction score
GET OUT! Move to San Diego:

>last hurricane/typhoon: NEVER
>last tornado: NEVER
>last time the river flooded anything but the golf course: NEVER
>last 5.8+ earthquake: 1862 (6.0)
>last 7+ earthquake: prehistoric
>last time temp. below 35º for more than about an hour: NEVER
>last time is snowed: 1992. ( time snow lasted on the ground: 17 minutes)
>last heat wave 100º+ for 10 days in a row: NEVER
>mosquitos: NO
>locusts: NO

Come on down!!!!!!!!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In England guns are banned so you are forced to use self-defence. .

I think guns are banned in Norway. That self defense crap worked real well for them!

By the way, in case you have an urge to go out and experience the hurrincane mano y mano, remember this pearl of wisdom from Ron White:
It is not THAT the wind is blowing, it is WHAT the wind is blowing. All your machismo doesn't help much when a %$^@#$ VOLVO hits you in the head!!!!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
at the moment, it looks a bit extreme for DC as well. Watch out for flying objects while you are taking memorable photos for your friends back home.
I can just imagine guys with guns standing in the lineups at the lumber store trying to buy plywood to board up their place. What I don't get is that in places where these hurricanes are common, what did all these people do with the plywood they bought last time?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I can just imagine guys with guns standing in the lineups at the lumber store trying to buy plywood to board up their place. What I don't get is that in places where these hurricanes are common, what did all these people do with the plywood they bought last time?
Why, they use them for target practice, of course. what a silly question. Last big hurrican we had here was in 1985 ,and it was a BIG one (Gloria).

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Guns are an equalizer?

So are taxes.

But I don't see Americans lobbying for them.

You can keep your guns to help the physically disadvantaged when we can raise your taxes to help the economically disadvanged.

When was America about equality?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Guns are an equalizer?

So are taxes.

But I don't see Americans lobbying for them.

You can keep your guns to help the physically disadvantaged when we can raise your taxes to help the economically disadvanged.

When was America about equality?

time to batten down the hatches, dontcha think? That's what I'm doing when I get home. Have to keep things put away or lashed down so they don't become missiles.

As far as taxes go, I pay enough already; besides Fed and state taxes, I pay $8K a year to my town/county as Real Estate Taxes for little service to me; what they don't keep for themselves as corruption, they give away to under"priveledged" folks who would RATHER collect and live on welfare than work as I do. I worked my way up from poor to barely middle income, not by sitting on my ass, but by working, sometimes 3 jobs when it was necessary about 40 years ago.
By the way, did you ever notice how ugly your Queen is? Just sayin' In another post, you said the royal family has their own wealth. Where did they get all that money from if not from the people? Who coined the word tax collector in days of Yore? I love the cartoon Wizard of ID!:D http://www.gocomics.com/wizardofid/2011/08/17 http://www.gocomics.com/wizardofid/2011/08/11 http://www.gocomics.com/wizardofid/2011/08/02

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
GET OUT! Move to San Diego:

>last hurricane/typhoon: NEVER
>last tornado: NEVER
>last time the river flooded anything but the golf course: NEVER
>last 5.8+ earthquake: 1862 (6.0)
>last 7+ earthquake: prehistoric
>last time temp. below 35º for more than about an hour: NEVER
>last time is snowed: 1992. ( time snow lasted on the ground: 17 minutes)
>last heat wave 100º+ for 10 days in a row: NEVER
>mosquitos: NO
>locusts: NO

Come on down!!!!!!!!

I love San Diego myself. No mosquitos either? wish I could afford it, though.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
San Diego: No seasons, no weather, no rain, just strips of chain stores and a few nice beaches. One day you wake up, you're 80 years old and forgot how that happened. And people like maggots in a dead cow in midsummer.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I need to prepare for the hurricane as well. I might get some more water. Tomorrow I will clean the gutters and install some gusher guards in spots that overflow with torrential rain.

My main threat is water and a power outage.

On taxes, I am a product of poor made good through a taxpayer-paid education and State support for a single parent who brought her kids up to work hard at school.

In America, I would have had no help with no chance of going to college or beyond.

Now I'm paying back many times the taxes that were spent on me through the higher income a State-sponsored education brings. In America, I would have had no choice but to still pull welfare.

That's called "investing in people", which America does not do. China does though. You need to understand the big picture to get it. To care about your community, not just your family. To care about people you do not know and will never meet, because if they do good then so will you.

On the Royal family, they bring a lot of income through tourism and deals to atract foreign investment to the country. In many ways, the Americans pay for the upkeep of our Royal family through their tourism dollars. Ironic eh?

I think Her Majesty the Queen looks pretty good for 85. No worse than Nancy Reagan.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
San Diego: No seasons, no weather, no rain, just strips of chain stores and a few nice beaches. One day you wake up, you're 80 years old and forgot how that happened. And people like maggots in a dead cow in midsummer.

Wow that sounds appealing. I used to like the East coast of Florida before it became that way. I was in San Diego in '96 and liked it, but I was only there for a long weekend. Liked what I saw at the time. Any place I decide to move to, I'll have to stay awhile before I get old:D (er)

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I need to prepare for the hurricane as well. I might get some more water. Tomorrow I will clean the gutters and install some gusher guards in spots that overflow with torrential rain.

My main threat is water and a power outage.

On taxes, I am a product of poor made good through a taxpayer-paid education and State support for a single parent who brought her kids up to work hard at school.

In America, I would have had no help with no chance of going to college or beyond.

Now I'm paying back many times the taxes that were spent on me through the higher income a State-sponsored education brings. In America, I would have had no choice but to still pull welfare.

That's called "investing in people", which America does not do. China does though. You need to understand the big picture to get it. To care about your community, not just your family. To care about people you do not know and will never meet, because if they do good then so will you.

On the Royal family, they bring a lot of income through tourism and deals to atract foreign investment to the country. In many ways, the Americans pay for the upkeep of our Royal family through their tourism dollars. Ironic eh?

I think Her Majesty the Queen looks pretty good for 85. No worse than Nancy Reagan.

When I was a young lad just out of High School in Brooklyn, NY, I was able to go to college for free because I got very good grades and qualified to attend a NYC college. I went to public school being poor, but I got good grades because i wanted to learn and get good grades. Nowadays, a lot of people get to go to special ethnic colleges for free because they are of that ethnicity. There are still scholarships. I agree that a person who cannot afford college should not be denied an education to move ahead, but that gift should be to those that really want that education and not just milk the system. Nancy Reagan is no longer our First Lady, so her looks are irrelevant. The queen was only fair looking at best when she was young. Just kidding anyway.

Good luck in your Hurricane experience, and I am sincere about that. My wife and I spent a few hours today putting away outside garden ornaments and other chatchkas (ever hear that word before?).

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks Bob and good luck for the storm too. The track has moved west so DC is probably gonna get the rain and the wind worse than you, but you of course may still get the surge.

Let's all meet up at Terry's if we have to evacuate.

I'll try to keep the Corner going through the Hurricane.

Irene won't kill it but Bob and Don probably will.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am about 4 miles inland and at an altitude of 112 feet above sea level, so the surge won't affect me, but th epredicted rain of up to a foot, may be too much for the street drains too take (not connected to any central sewer system out here in the burbs. My house grade is about 2 feet or so above the street, so we will see. I am more worried about trees coming down. Monday morning it will all be over here. NYC is asking people in low low laying areas to evacuate. On the news, they said that in 188* something, lower manhattan was under 13 feet of water. Having lived and worked there for many years, that is hard to imagine

Cookie

Reaction score
I don't know what you people are so worried about, it is nothing to worry about. Make a tea, get a good book and just wait it out, there are far worse things in life, lol trust me on this. All will be well. Just put some bricks on your feet while sitting in the recliner. :)

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
To be **that** relaxed, I will need to polish off my bottle of Cabo Wabo; neat. I am sure I'll be in la la land way before that bottle is half gone (I'm a cheap date). Trees crashing through the house can be unnerving. Just thinking about that ruins the mood.

Cookie

Reaction score
Nah, you will be okay. You worry too much. I could actually sleep through it. :) Years ago, I once set a bag of popcorn on fire in the microwave and la de da carried it outself while the men on the front porch was remortaring. I tapped one guy on his back saying, " excuse me" and he turned around jumped a foot high and started yelling. I said, "sheez it is just some fire." Granted the flames got big, but still...

Just a little breeze coming your way, time to ventilate for winter, make it smell nice and fresh, :)

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
My future will probably rely on a Zoeller 507 battery backup sump pump and two deep discharge marine batteries (and my car battery if the forecast gets any worse).

Hard rain and a power cut and my basement is a gonna after the batteries run out. This might be a good test of the 507. It's never been used before.

I cut down all the trees on my property when I moved in (that annoyed the American neighbors) but there are still a few on properties around me that could pose a threat. We won't be sleeping in those rooms on Saturday night.

If the power goes, I won't be sleeping at all. I'll be hunched over the sump pit with a torch!

And a warm beer.

I'll get the inverter out to keep the Corner going, assuming the network is still up.

Memoirs from the sump pit...

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Ah, you shouldn't had cut your trees down, because in the bad storm they can come from a distance anyway. You could had enjoyed the shade and the birdies.

Have you found birdie poop on your house or your car yet?

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Ian, where'd you go? not far I hope, lol.
You at that sump pump writing your journal drinking yucky, warm beer? Listen, if you want to be a yank, that stuff goes on ice.

How about Georgia? Is that state going to feel Irene?

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I love San Diego myself. No mosquitos either? wish I could afford it, though.

Oh trust me..you CAN afford it right now. Getting a JOB, that's a different story. As for the cost of living...yes gas is a little high. Last time I bought a winter coat or boots? 1962. Last time I had a 3 digit bill for heat in the winter? NEVER

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks