Advice for moving bath spout

Users who are viewing this thread

Tlee2310

Reaction score
I want to move my bath tub fill spout down 6" since I removed the tub and am putting in a shower pan. My shower manifold to shower head and spout is copper pipping, but supplied by pex. My dilemma is how to move the spout. I can sweat copper pipes decently (by no means a pro) but I have never done it on something connected and close to pex pipes before.

Sharkbite doesn't look like it will work as I have exactly 1" from the current spout to the coupler with that small pipe tee'd off (side question, is that the trap primer?)

I attached a few pics to help show the issue.

Attachments

• movespout1.jpg
    movespout1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,019
  • movespout2.jpg
    movespout2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 921

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can't run PEX to a tub spout with diverter. The smaller size pushes water up to the shower head. Run full size copper.
Just pick up a torch, flux and solder and go for it.

Do you even need the tub spout if you using this as a shower? You could cap off the spout if you're only using the shower head.

moen-tub-spout-install.jpg

moen-tub-outlet.jpg

pex-to-copper-fitting.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some people like the tub spout in their shower and use it for several things including a 'toe tester' to get the water just right before opening up the showerhead path, and second, it makes a nice, easy way to fill up a bucket should you want to mop the floor.

Code only requires any spout filler to be above the flood plane, and in this case of a shower, that would be to have the outlet above the top of the shower curb.

Tlee2310

Reaction score
Yes, my main reason to keep the spout is to fill buckets... or for when I want to just wash sand off my feet.

Thanks for the info.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks