Advice connecting additional shower to existing horizontal drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe C.

Reaction score
Adding a shower to our second floor ensuite, ripped out the ceiling downstairs to access the existing horizontal drain in our subfloor.

here are couple of pics, as you can see the space I have on the main stack is full, so I'm trying to figure out how I will add the vent for the p-trap. thinking I need to drill a 2" hole through the floor to connect the vent higher on the main stack.

Many thanks to any insight or advice to my plumbing dilemma! :)

Picture looking at the Shower Drain connection:

Picture looking down the drain from Shower Drain connection:

Cheers, Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
First of all, GOOD PICS. So many new members make the mistake expecting miracles without making the effort to take pics.

Obviously the toilet was working fine before, so that was (wet) vented fine. Things are easily vented when they are short distances, as you have here.

For the minimum amount of work: chop off that elbow from the old toilet, install a trap that will go below that horizontal pipe of the old-toilet. the shower will work fine and will be vented. May have some cosmetic ceiling issues here.

A better, yet more work, is to have your shower share the "Sanitary Tee from Bathtub Drain".

What's the story with all the pink insulation?

Joe C.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

So the better way then would be?? to shower drain> P-trap > sanitary tee > existing toilet drain, vent the top with a 90' connection > to shared (dual sanitary 2" tee) on the main stack

or are you saying, cap the existing toilet drain and then run the shower drain> P-trap > over to a shared (dual sanitary 2" tee) on the main stack

I don't mind doing the extra work if it means I won't have to worry about it in the future, don't want to rip it open again :)

The pink insulation is because the ensuite and bathroom is directly above our garage.

Cheers

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know they do things differently in Canada but don't you still need a vent? I don't see a vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks