Adjusting vent pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

jlohrenz

Reaction score
moving vent pipe

I'm trying to get a humidifier installed in my central A/C system. Unfortunately this vent pipe in the attached picture is blocking my ability to do this. Can I cut this pipe near the floor, angle it and have it come up 6-8 inches to the left of where it currently goes? In the joists above where it levels off I can easily cut and adapt to adjust for the location change.

I just wasn't sure if I could do this with a vent. (The red line is what I'd like to do.)

I believe this is the vent for the shower stall rough in that is on the floor near this area.

TIA!

Jason L.

Attachments

• Furnace and Vent.jpg
    Furnace and Vent.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:

jlohrenz

Reaction score
Is there other information I can provide to help me out with this?

The vent currently runs straight from the cement floor to the ceiling joists, where it does a 90 and joins into the main vent that goes up through the house to the roof.

What I'd like to do is cut it off above the floor, put in a 45, a small section of pipe, and then another 45 and run it straight up to the ceiling joists and re-connect it to the main vent.

Thoughts?

TIA!

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I've seen a number of posts on this forum from real plumbers who say that offsetting a vent like that is OK. It carries mostly air, albeit stinky air, and some liquid from condensation and rain that has to flow downward. Your plan sounds OK to me.

jlohrenz

Reaction score
Thanks!

They crammed so much stuff around our A/C-Furnace that this is the only spot we can mount a humidifier. They had a sticker stating 'place humidifier here' but they went on to run the exhaust vent right past that spot from the water heater. Gotta love some home builders!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks