Additional knob/valve inside shower wall

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnNJS

Reaction score
Hi,
First time posting in the forum - hope i get it right. I'm a plumbing novice and am not sure what the additional knob below my shower handle stem is. I've been trying to find out via the internet but it's difficult because i don't know what to search for. Most pictures of two-handle system (e.g. here http://www.diyadvice.com/diy/plumbing/faucets/tub-shower-stem-compression/) do not show the lower knob or valve.

I'm assuming it is, or was (my construction is original 1971) common as these tear-drop escutcheons are something i've seen a lot and I assume were intended to disguise this additional part. However that is as far as my deduction has taken me.

Has anyone seen this part? What does it do? I thank you in advance.

small.jpg

Attachments

• small.jpg
    small.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 348

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
My guess is they are integral shutoffs so that you can work on it without having to turn off the entire house.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, an integral set of shutoffs would be that, a set, and there's only one!

If I had to guess (I'm not familiar with many different ones), it might be either the spool pressure balance valve, or it's a max temp adjustment.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score

If I had to guess (I'm not familiar with many different ones), it might be either the spool pressure balance valve, or it's a max temp adjustment.

The one your looking at is on the cold side. The second one would be on the hot side. It's a two valve shower valve.

John

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

JohnNJS

Reaction score
They usually snap the slotted head when you try to turn them. Usually completly useless after a few years.

Oh no! Bad news. Thank you for letting me know. Do you know if, when that happens, it creates disaster (i.e. water spraying out)?

Also, any use spraying on some penetrating oil or something on it before I try it out?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks