Adding Washer Drain - Stumped

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary_A

Reaction score
Getting old and stairs are a problem so we are relocating our washer and dryer to the ground floor.
Access to plumbing is through the garage wall so all routing options are available.

The existing stack is for a dual sink in the master bathroom and the new washer will be located 6 feet from the vent.

One option is to install another 2" sanitarian T on the main vent line on top of the right sink Tee and add a vent to the line like the left one.

With the limited space I'm not sure there is room to put the washer Tee below the dual sink tees.

Please offer your advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The two sinks do NOT have to be connected like that, and most plumbers would not have done it that way. A plumber could remove that configuration, connect them differently, then install the washer tee, but it will need a vent so more wall would have to be exposed to get it installed.

Gary_A

Reaction score
Could I simply re-plumb with a 4 way sanitary tee on the main vent/drain line for the two sinks and then on the first 2 way 2" Tee run a 2" line for the washer venting it through the existing vent branch?

Similar to this for the 2 sinks?

double_lav_rough_1.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The double sink with a single drain and vent requires the use of a double fixture fitting, which is what is shown in your lower photo. A double sanitee or cross would be a bad choice, and would not be code compliant.

A washer standpipe, trap, and drain must all be 2". The existing sink drain and vent will need to be removed to get a sanitee in below it. The piping will need to be reconfigured placing the washer in the next stud bay over, and the separate vents can be tied together no less than 42" above the floor.

Gary_A

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. I will re-plumb with the 2" washer drain at the bottom with a dual fixture above on the main vent line.

The only remaining question is the washer drain will be 6' from the main vent. How close or far from the washer does the vent line need to be?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would bring up a vent within 3 feet of the trap and then arm over to tie the vents together up high in the wall.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Good luck if you are going to try to do this yourself, because the fittings you have to "replace" are fitting to fitting and you do not have anything to put your new fittings onto to get started.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks