adding shower to existing tub

Users who are viewing this thread

skyscooter

Reaction score
]I have a nice tub from the 50s, but I'd like to add a shower to it. The walls are tiled and it would be impossible to match or save the tile if I had to tear into the wall. Is there such a kit that will allow me add piping (maybe a fancy brass one) from the water spout upward to provide a shower? Thanks for your input.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One thing to consider is that the tile may not be installed to be able to survive the water from a shower...a little splash from taking a tub might not show it up, but hit it with a shower several times every day, and you may have the walls falling down or mildew and rot. Maybe not, too. Hard to tell, but it is something to consider.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
JAD has a point in that the tiles may have simply been placed over drywall, or in the 50's could even be a lath and plaster wall. Tile is not a water proof surface due to the grout joints, so if the substrate is not waterproof, then you have trouble.

But in answer to your question, there are many types of spouts available which allow connection of a hand-held flexible shower, or a hard tube up to a mounted shower head.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks