adding shower to 1/2 bath - questions around drains

Users who are viewing this thread

bigballer

Reaction score
i want to add a shower to our 1/2 bath and need to figure out the drain design. the drain would tie into the main exit between the washing machine (ahead of the shower) and the toilet (after the shower). there is another bathroom and kitchen ahead of this as well. sooo how do i keep the shower drain from becoming a geyser? is it just a matter of installing a Y correctly? this is all on the main floor of the house and all in a line along the back wall of the house - like so: bathroom (tub/toilet/sink) -> kitchen sink > washing machine > bathroom (toilet/sink). i am not above having a PRO do this for me but if something a realtive novice can accomplish, i will do it.

thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
To cut in a drain, you would install a wye fitting, and then a wye fitting for the vent. You will need a vent after the shower p-trap and then you can wye it into a waste line.

The vent goes through the roof.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ALL plumbing is a "matter of installing the fittings properly". Between installing the proper "Y" the proper way, and installing a proper vent, it is probably NOT a diy project.

bigballer

Reaction score
how does this look for design?

Attachments

• SCAN0008 (Medium).jpg
    SCAN0008 (Medium).jpg
    36 KB · Views: 844
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks