Adding sewer to barn

Users who are viewing this thread

MF41

Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to add sewer to our barn for a sink and possibly toilet in the future. Initially I assumed that we would need to get a second tap in for it but we were just recently given the drawing of the sewer system on our property and found out the line actually runs about 8' from the barn and then taps into the main sewer line about 50' away.

I was wondering if we can 1.) tap directly into this line as it is on our property and 2.) do this ourselves?

Thanks,
M

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. Ys.
2. Who knows whether you know how to do it, but whoever runs the sewer and installs the toilet pipe would be the one, since they would determine WHERE it was done.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
In most places, the property owner owns and is responsible for the sewer and water lines running from the municipal sewer to the the home. You will need a plan, a permit, and an inspection done for the work.
Seeing that you had to ask, it might be best to allow someone more experienced and knowledgeable do the work. If something goes wrong, your house will have no working sewer, and then what will you do?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
With minimum supervision, a brownie scout could make the sewer connection. First decide who owns the property, and go from there.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do the trench digging yourself, but hire a plumber to get the permits and do the installation. As cacher_chick pointed out, if you have to ask how to do this, it is likely beyond your experience level to make the connection. May be illegal to DIY the sewer connection, too.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
One of the sewer mains were I am reaches 24 feet below grade before it hits a pumping station.
It would be a shame to see someone get in way over their head.

MF41

Reaction score
I know I could do this myself but I wasn't sure if that was something that needed inspected first. I will most likely just contact the plumber that ran it for the house.
I appreciate the help all.
M

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Where I am the homeowner is responsible. It it up to them to make sure the permit is pulled or to make sure the tradesman pulls the permit. Pulling the permit is the first step. The municipality might want a plumbing diagram and list of materials for the planned work. Once the permit is granted the piping can be installed but not buried or covered until the inspection is done. The inspection will include verification of good plumbing practices and witness of a pressure test of the new installation to confirm that there are no leaks. The installer is responsible for setting up the pressure test so it can be witnessed by the inspector.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it were me, I would go down to the sporting goods store and purchase a duck blind, and set it up around the dig. Hire yourself a septic tank/grave-digger person to excavate and expose the waste line in the gloom of night. Send in the brownie scout to cut in a wye for the new pipe. If you get feeling guilty after the fact, contact the Vatican and have the pope drop by and sprinkle holy water on it. All done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks