Adding New Faucets Outside

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I want to add 2 new faucets outside so I don't have to run hoses all around my house to water my plants.

I have a Brick house with a crawl space, I currently have 2 facets on the North and South side of my house and I want to add one on the East & West sides.

It looks pretty straight forward but I just want to make sure I am doing it correctly. I live in North Carolina by the coast, we get cold weather, not extremely but i want to put a freeze proof faucets.

Do I need to use copper pipes, or can I use PVC? Where exactly do I tie into the existing water supply?

I appreciate any help / instructions. = )

Linda

Last edited by a moderator:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I don't know the plumbing code for your area but in some jurisdictions, PVC is not allowed inside the home. Where you tie in depends on whether or not you have a pressure regulator. People often like to tie in before the regulator to enjoy the higher pressure. Look to see where the existing hose bib is tied in.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you have water filters or a softener, you would also need to tie in ahead of their connections. You could use CPVC, PEX, or copper piping in the crawlspace. Where and how the connections are made and piping run will depend entirely on the existing layout.

If you have gardens out away from the house it might also be a good time to look at installing a spigot or two out on the property further away from the house.

No one likes dragging around garden hoses, and much of it is preventable with good planning of spigot locations.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If you have water filters or a softener, you would also need to tie in ahead of their connections...

Good point WRT the softener. In my case, I have separate hose bibs for unfiltered and iron filtered water. The unfiltered can produce more GPM but the filters keep my soaker hoses from clogging up with iron and keeps my white siding from being iron stained by sprinklers.

I even put in hot and cold soft water hose bibs for washing cars and dogs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks