Adding new external clean out

Users who are viewing this thread

julesy

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 3" line leaving my house with a cleanout about 4" from the foundation wall. The line was originally iron until it reached the cleanout which is clay. In solving a backup in my system, I discovered that the iron pipe passing under the foundation had a good sized hole in it. I have subsequently replaced this with 3" ABS and have it connected via a fermco coupler to the iron which I cut about a foot before from the cleanout.

However...

The current cleanout and line back to the foundation is located under a deck which is being replaced. It dawned on me that this is my chance to add a cleanout which does not terminate under the deck. However, with the deck being where it is, I would have to connect the cleanout so that it is not simply vertical from the main line, but angled so that it emerges a couple of feet to the side.

Are there any regulations on this, or will I be fine with a cleanout that is angled from the line? Does it need to be vertical when it emerges? I have not been able to find anything on this subject. I am in California.

Also, would I be crazy to leave the existing cleanout there? The more I think about this, I should dig up the line to a point just past the deck and make sure I run new ABS all the way there. This way, If the ceramic line needs to be replaced in the future, I won't have to have the work performed under the deck as I will know it is good.

To summerize:

Can a clean out on a residential line be angled to avoid obstacles?
Should I pull out the existing cleanout which is under a deck and terminate the ABS directly into the clay pipe? Will this be harder to join than to the Iron? I presume it is simply annother Fermco coupler.

Thanks in advance for your help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The cleanout riser can be run anyway that makes accessing it easier, but the more direct the better it is. As for the other considerations, they are up to you whether you want to spend the time and money to do it now, or wait and see if they even have to be done.

julesy

Reaction score
Thanks hj for your advice.

Yes, I know direct is better, but when You have a line under a deck, you don't have much choice. I will run the clean out at an angle rather than vertical, so it misses the deck. Now I have the hole dug at one side of the existing clean out, it will be easier to remove it now rather than later. I will investigate and see what to do with it.

Thanks again.

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
replacing cleanout

bullhorncleanout.jpg

If you are updating your outside cleanout install this. We call them bullhorns. You will be able to run a cable from this point to the street or into your home. This is two drainage tees put together that will allow the roto rooter go either direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Correction; They are two "combination Y-1/8 bends" NOT "sanitary/drainage tees", which would be "illegal" and almost completely worthless when the risers do NOT rise vertically.

julesy

Reaction score
You know, I had thought about putting in a clean out for both directions, but felt it was unecessary. I have just replaced all the drainage with ABS and there are plenty of cleanouts upstream as needed. Yes, I was aware that you have to use a Sanitary tee whenever the connection was not vertical in the top of a pipe. I imagine I will be angling my connection at about 45 degrees to miss the deck.

I was impressed with the drawing!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Yes, I was aware that you have to use a Sanitary tee whenever the connection was not vertical in the top of a pipe.

The drawing was correct, his interpretation was NOT. You do NOT use a sanitary tee in ANY horizontal line, period, even if it is "not vertical in the top of a pipe", whatever that means. The only reason for the cleanout towards the house is to give an easier access point for the snake, but since that section VERY SELDOM has a problem, its value is debateable.

julesy

Reaction score
Ok, I was using the terms incorrectly. I meant putting in a "combination Y-1/8 bends" which was what I had pictured in my head. "Not vertical in the top of the pipe" meant that I will be angling the cleanout 45 degrees off vertical to miss the deck. I was under the impression that you could use a sanitary tee if it was a vertical connection into a horizontal line, but maybe that was incorrect also. This is why I came to this site - for clarification. Thanks.

jonlee

Reaction score
In the summer, when I tried to clear the pipe, I broke the latch between them and now I use only the services of professionals. Change the pipe was more complicated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks