adding kitchen in basement - oven/stove top limitation?

Users who are viewing this thread

CompletelyHis

Reaction score
As I finish my basement, I'm adding a kitchen. Someone told me there is a restriction in the IRC about what I can put in as far as oven or stove top...either can't have one, or can't be gas, or something like that.

I've searched all over, and can't find such a restriction. any suggestions?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
restriction

Here, it is a city restriction because they will not allow you to have two "houses" on the same lot. So if the basement, or guest house, cannot have a kitchen then its use as an apartment is hopefully eliminated.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I once did a job for a lady who had "subdivided" a big old spanish "mansion" into 8 apartments of various sizes. She duked it out with the city for years, but the day of reckoning finally came.

The extra, non-code toilet installations, the city made us pour cement into the line, so it could not be converted back....ever. In the kitchens she had put in, we had to not only remove them, but the water and drain pipes had to be pulled out of the wall and capped off down in the basement.

CompletelyHis

Reaction score
I'll check with the county then (I think they're the ones that told me in the first place, ever so long ago!)

Thanks,

Ian

Cookie

Reaction score
Here where I live they are called, " summer kitchens" and alot of homes have them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks