adding guest house to existing well

Users who are viewing this thread

jk13

Reaction score
Hi, I am upgrading existing plumbing in guest house, and am asking for advice about increased demand from existing well. Submersible, 20/40, 30gal bladder tank, guest house is 60 -70 ft. from existing tank. thanks

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
If the well never ran out of water in the old house it's doubtful that a little used guest house would cause problems. But of course it depends on your well yield and how much the house is actually used.

I'd set a new pressure tank in the guest house and feed it with a 3/4" line tee'd off the existing line from your well.

jk13

Reaction score
thanks for the vote of confidence, and the suggestion about the second tank, the potential pressure loss is my intuitive concern. We haven t run out of water in the main house but my wife would like increased pressure, any thoughts on that?

Speedbump

Reaction score
Increase the pipe size to the guest room if pressure is a concern. The tank will only give you a short burst of better pressure than go right back to what is in the system already.

bob...

jk13

Reaction score
Thanks, - is there a way to increase existing pressure in the main house without changing sub. pump?
john

Speedbump

Reaction score
You could try turning up the pressure switch. If you have a sub, it should go higher. I like 50/70.

bob...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Anything is better than 20/40, turn up the pressure switch. I also agee that a larger line to the guest house will give you better pressure, and another tank will not help.

jk13

Reaction score
thanks for the help, I am curious about the mysteries of these pressure switches. what I am understanding is that they can be treated as a "reastat in ratio" then why are they sold as specific settings, 20/40, 30/50 etc.?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
One pressure tank will give you volume for one minute, two pressure tanks will give you volume for two minutes. After that, all you have is what the pump can supply through the size of flow line you have. And that is only if the pressure tank(s) happen to be full when you start using water. The pressure tank(s) could just as easily be empty when you start using water. You have no control over this. With a 40/60 pressure switch, the pressure could be anywhere from 40 to 60 when you start using water. If it happen to be at 60, you will get volume from the tank. If it happened to be at 41, the tanks will actually be another load for the pump when it starts. So the pump will have to produce the amount of water you are using, as well as refill the pressure tank(s) at the same time. While the pump is refilling the pressure tank(s), you will be starved for volume in the house.

Pressure tanks where never designed to give you volume or stored water, only to prevent the pump from cycling on and off too often. A 119 gallon pressure tank only holds about 30 gallons of water. Even with two of these, you will rip through 60 gallons of water quickly in the house, then again, all you have left is what the pump can produce through the size of line you have. Your stored water is in the ground. There are millions of acre feet of water stored in the aquifers under our feet. This is where your volume of water comes from, not a pressure tank. You just need a large enough pump, and large enough water lines, to supply the amount of water you need. Then if you have a device to limit pump cycling, even a 1 gallon pressure tank is all that you need.

jk13

Reaction score
thanks for the clarity in your explanation, to probe further, the bladder tank remains unaffected by the increase in switch pressure?

jk13

Reaction score
yeah, in response to the advice to simply increase pressure ratio the question that comes to my inexperienced mind is - does the increase in pump switch pressure to say 40/60 affect the air pressure in the bladder tank, I recall reading in a post about the air pressure in bladder tank has a relation to switch pressure setting does 38lbs psi for 20/40 switch ring true or am I confusing the issue. I am not only trying to avoid trouble down the road, but it is the old story - the more I learn the more I learn what I don t know. I haven t had the opportunity to learn what there is to know about this aspect of the plumbing universe so it is unraveling like a mystery, one question leading to another. Without you guys out there I m high and dry. So thanks again it's really helpful
john

jk13

Reaction score
thanks, again spot on help. valveman on tanks and pumps forum - clear explanation of what I was thinking regarding bladder in tank being affected by simply cranking pressure switch without checking air pressure in tank.

jk13

Reaction score
thanks for the link bob, a wealth of new info to delve into. the final word - as I now understand, I am going to drain tank, check air, add air to 38psi adjust switch to 40/60 and refill is this correct ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks