Adding gas range and outdoor grill. Do i need a new natural gas meter?

Users who are viewing this thread

NCTaxman

Reaction score
My home was built in 1997 and has an American Meter Company AC-250 meter (see photos). I currently have two heat pumps, a fireplace and a water heater running off of the meter. We'd like to add a 5-burner residential gas range in the kitchen and a small 3-burner Weber outdoor grill to the natural gas system. I called my gas company and they told me to ask my contractor who is installing the appliances whether or not I will need to upgrade my gas meter.

Before I do that, I'd like to be informed.

What do ya'll need from me to help me determine whether I need to upgrade my gas meter? Can I have an "off-the-cuff" answer from the information I've provided? Or do you need more information?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2157.JPG
    IMG_2157.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_2158.JPG
    IMG_2158.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 281

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have a 250 cfm meter. You have to add up the btu load for all your appliances to see what their total is. If the meter is adequate, then you have to determine whether your gas piping has to be modified for the new appliances..

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
What your natural gas supplier is telling you is: Have a licensed plumber advice you and we will review his plan. Usually electric, water and NG suppliers prefer to deal with lic contractors over homeowners,

In my city, most homes are capable of handling the added range and BBQ. They can even handle an added pool heater (with some pipe modifications). Keep in mind that any changes to gas piping need to be permitted, inspected, tested and signed off.

It's probably the same in your city.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A 250cuft meter (assuming your piping is sized properly - it might not be if you're adding things), equates to approximately 250,000 BTU. So, as was said, you have to add up all of the capacities of the things that could fire at once, and then see. A 5-burner stove with an oven could take over 100K by itself. Some gas grills can take over 100K (but most are smaller - mine is only 2-burners, but uses a max of 60K). Throw in a furnace, gas dryer, water heater, and you may not have a large enough meter...you have to do the math.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks