Adding Garbage Disposal to Old Stainless Steel Sink/Drainboard

Users who are viewing this thread

turkeyvulture

Reaction score
I have a 50+ year old stainless drainboard with integral stainless double sinks. It has never had a garbage disposal but I want to add one. I must remove the old drain ring from the left-hand sink to put in the one provided with the disposal unit. This drain ring is the usual cup-shaped thing with a threaded outlet on the bottom, but it's surrounded by another cup-shaped thing attached to the underneath side of the sink with some kind of black stuff. This cover has a large clearance hole in it, and the drain ring outlet sticks out through that. Then the spud nut screws up to the cover. Well the spud nut came off fine, but I have not been able to remove either the drain ring or the cover, in spite of heat gunning the heck out of it from to and bottom and prying as much as I dare. The black stuff yields a little and I could keep working on it, but I don't want to wreck stuff, so I'm checking here. Anyone have experience with one of these?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Wreck the drain parts not the sink.
Those cups can stick pretty good, once the nut is removed from under it squeeze with channel locks, twist mutilate the cup whatever it takes to break it loose.

turkeyvulture

Reaction score
Thanks Redwood. I'll try that. What's that cup for anyway? It appears to be attached only to the sink, not the drain outlet. Maybe just something for the spud nut to cinch against?

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
BS35.jpg

Does it look something like this? if so it's there to give a better bite to the bottom of the sink, should be a large gasket on the top and a nut on the bottom.

turkeyvulture

Reaction score
Yes...I think so...that black gasket would go below the sink of course. That's the one I'm heat gunning and digging at with a screwdriver. It's so petrified that when I dig in I'm bending the lip of the bottom spacer/reinforcer. More heat and more prying I guess. I'll take some pix this weekend. Thanks guys.

turkeyvulture

Reaction score
Success! I sawzalled through the cup and drain outlet, then pealed the residual cup metal off. I don't think it would have come off otherwise. The two parts were all corroded together, maybe from years of slight leakage past the flange in the sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks