Adding garage utility sink - use existing 1st floor bathroom drain and vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

eleben

Reaction score
Hello - first thank you for taking the time to read this and potential provide some advice.

I'm located in Wisconsin and want to add a utility sink in my garage.

Existing Drain
2" drain from shower/tub connects to 3" drain. From what I see in the basement the 3" drain is also the vent as it heads to the attic and is also a wet vent for the sink in the 1st floor bathroom where the shower/tub is located

Existing Vent
Kitchen consists of Sink and Dishwasher sharing 1.5" vent with the laundry which consists of a washer and laundry sink

existing plumbing.JPG

I'm looking at tying into the 1st floor 2" shower/tub drain pipe and the 1.5" vent in the attic from the kitchen/laundry. I've attached a drawing showing the existing layout and what i would like to add

utility sink.JPG

Is this doable? I will be pulling a permit but want to see if this is possible first.

Thank you again for taking the time to look.

David

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can't wet vent a shower with a laundry sink.
There would need to be a vent for the shower.
Also, the laundry sink needs a 2" waste, and a 1.5" trap arm and trap.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So even with a separate vent for the laundry sink it wouldn't work. darn

That only vents the sink in this case, not the shower. They allow a lav with a 1.25" tailpiece to wet vent, but a laundry sink has a 1.5" drain and may have a washer dumping into it.

eleben

Reaction score
Could it be that I may have missed the shower vent tying into the 3" vent up in the attic or is it acceptable for a shower to wet vent as shown in the diagram (prior to adding a utility sink that is).

The first diagram shows what was existing when the home was built.

Last edited:

eleben

Reaction score
So even with a separate vent for the laundry sink it wouldn't work. darn

Just to clarify... when I mentioned laundry sink previously I meant adding the separate vent for the utility sink in the garage sorry for the mix up there.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Just to clarify... when I mentioned laundry sink previously I meant adding the separate vent for the utility sink in the garage sorry for the mix up there.

But once you dump the laundry sink into the shower, the shower no longer is vented correctly.

eleben

Reaction score
so if i can get it connected to the 3" after the shower/toilet/vent I would be good...

test.JPG

eleben

Reaction score
Just wanted to say a quick Thank You! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and the information you gave me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks