Adding Fuse Box for Dryer Outlet

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello All.

I was wanting to add a fuse box with a disconnect so that I can Plug my Welder into the outlet where my dryer plugs in.

Is it normal to get a permit for an addition like that ? I live in Texas.

I do not like the Idea of having to turn off the power at the main, If needed.
I would feel safer being able to kill the power near the welder, and also have the extra protection that the fuses would provide.

Thank You for any input that you could provide.

Have a Great Day.

DonL

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Yes. Almost certainly would require a permit. Usually for electrical, the only things that don't require a permit would be "repairs" (replacing an outlet, switch, or light fixture). However, even some small items may need permits depending on your location.

But, to be sure, call up your city inspections and ask.

DonL

Reaction score
Thank You nukeman,

Sounds like I will be better off, Plugging and unplugging.

I was concerned about how many times you can Plug and Unplug an outlet before it wears out.

Getting a permit sounds like more trouble than it is worth.

Thank You. Have a Great day.

DonL

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Permit is easy. For something like this, the permit is probably just telling them you want an electrical permit and a description of the work ("Replace existing dryer outlet with fusible disconnect and new outlet"). Something like that. Then probably not more than a couple bucks for a fee. The fee depends on location, but around here you can get a $5000 reno permitted and inspected (all trades) for about $50 or so (here it is a % of total cost instead of a fixed amount).

A job like this, might need just a single inspection. Wire everything up, but leave box open and power off. They come and take a look (check the your metal box is grounded, proper conductor size, etc.) and sign off on it. Bigger jobs will usually have two inspections: rough and final. For something this small, they would probably be combined. Around here, you call the day prior to when you want the inspection to setup a time. Usually, you can choose AM or PM and the inspector will try to come during the time slot requested.

I think that the disconnect is a good idea. You could probably get one made for outdoor A/C units. These are typically rated 30A - 60A. The wiring for your current setup is most likely 30A.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you don't have a 4-wire dryer circuit to a 4 prong receptacle and dryer cord, you will probably have to replace it to meet current code. There are still millions of homes with an ungrounded dryer, but only because they are grandfathered in.

DonL

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone.

If it needs to be a 4 conductor wire , then I may need to run a new wire.
I am not sure but it may be a 3 conductor, Will have to look.

If it needs a new wire then that would be more trouble than it would be worth.
The wire run is about 100 feet.

This sounds like the reason most people just DO IT. Not worth all the cost to do a simple thing.

Thanks for the input.

Have a Great Day.

DonL

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; to add a fuse box with a disconnect so that I can Plug my Welder into the outlet where my dryer plugs in

If that statement is correct, why do you need the disconnect, especially if you are using the same outlet, which is what you state you wish to do? Just pull the dryer's plug and insert the welder's plug. Although many welders use a 60 amp plug which would not work for what you want to do if yours has one, nor would the wiring to the outlet.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Hello All.

I was wanting to add a fuse box with a disconnect so that I can Plug my Welder into the outlet where my dryer plugs in.

Is it normal to get a permit for an addition like that ? I live in Texas.
DonL

Section 1305.003. (6) work not specifically regulated by a municipal ordinance that is performed in or on a dwelling by a person who owns and resides in the dwelling

This is the administrative rule that governs the installation of electrical circuits and equipment by the state of Texas by anyone who does not hold an electrical license.
If the jurisdiction in which you live requires you to take a test before doing any work on that dryer receptacle then you would need to contact your local inspection department before beginning any type of work.

It would be in your best interest to check before just starting. Many more issues may arise other than you just Doing It.

DonL

Reaction score
Hello All,

hj, I guess I should have said Connect to instead of plug in, My mistake.

I wanted to add another outlet for the welder, but wanted to have a fused disconnect.

The Welder is a wire feed type and operates at 30 amps.

I think You are correct saying "Just pull the dryer's plug and insert the welder's plug" Since I would be using one or the other, Never Both at the same time anyway.

I guess the right way to do it would be to run a new wire from the main for the welder.

Thank You.

Have a Great Day.

DonL

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks