Adding bathroom in large loft style attic. Vent pipe needed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a three story building that currently has a toliet on the 1st and 2nd stories. There is a large attic that I'm going to add a bathroom to.

Both toliets on the 1st and second story are hooked up to the same 4" poopie stack, and I plan to ti the 3rd story tolit into the poopie stack also.

My question is about what I have to do, and how to do it.

I am ok with cutting the cast iron stack, adding a 45 degree 4" booted T-pipe off the main stack, and add the flange for the added toliet in the position where I want the toliet.

Is there anything else that I have to do with the drain for the toliet? i.e. do I need to do anything with vents, etc. to prevent water from flying out of the toliets on the 1st or 2nd floor or anything?

Please help. :)

Cookie

Reaction score
Hello,

Unfortunately, you cannot do what you are planning on doing. Unless, the second floor toilet is vented separately from the stack, which it won't be.
You will have to run a separate drain line from the third floor toilet into the basement. Or, at least below the second floor toilet. But, really you need a plumber to come and look because we cannot see how the plumbing is run.

TorontoTim

Reaction score
Sounds like it would be easier to vent the 2nd floor toilet separately through the roof given the to-be 3rd floor is an attic right now.

Pics / diagrams!

Reaction score
OK - See the diagram.

(Wow.. you guys are quick!)

Attachments

• 3rd_story_toilet.jpg
    3rd_story_toilet.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 4,943
Reaction score
More info...

So that there is no confusion, both the 1st and 2nd story toilets are on the same main 4" stack, both set up in the same configuration. thanks again. :)

Reaction score
My Plan....

Ok, so I plan to do the toilet on the 3rd floor in the same configuration as the ones on the 1st and 2nd floors... will it work? If not, what will happen, and why?

I appreciate all the help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
dwv_b2.jpg

You can't run waste down a vent.
Doing so will siphon out all the traps below, and most of the time, they fittings on vents may not even be close to what you would need for a waste line.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Like Cookie said, you really do need a plumber to come out and look at what you have and what you want to do.

If the plumbing is as you describe it is nothing I have ever seen and is wrong.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In your drawing, the large pipe rising from the second floor towards the attic is presently the vent for the toilets on 1st and 2nd floor. If you turn that pipe into a soil pipe, by putting a toilet on the 3rd floor, that pipe can no longer serve as a vent. Vent pipes from the first and second floor must rise separately and connect back to that large pipe 6" above the highest fixture on the 3rd floor.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stack

How the first floor toilet is connected to the stack is important to the discussion, since it would normally have an offset fitting with the vent as part of it. The second floor would not have the same fitting, although it could look similar outwardly. If so, then you would have to provide a vent for the second floor toilet, not easily done, and disconnect the vent connection from the second floor and reattach it at the same relative point on the third floor. You are not looking at a DIY job, and even an experienced plumber might be challenged depending on the situation.

Reaction score
Spent more time looking at actual plumbing... Here it is.

Here is an updated drawing of the actual plumbing.

Attachments

• 3rd_story_toilet_UPDATE.jpg
    3rd_story_toilet_UPDATE.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 4,751
Reaction score
Or Do I Need To Do Lots O Work?

Or Do I Need To Do Lots Of Work?????

Attachments

• 3rd_Story_proposed_LOTS_O_WORK.jpg
    3rd_Story_proposed_LOTS_O_WORK.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 3,964

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
As long as you are dumping waste into a pipe, it's a waste stack, and not usable as a vent.

You can tee off as many times as you like, as long as you are adding a vent each time,
Those vents can tie together at six inches above the flood level of the fixtures served.
And then that vent stack can go through the roof on it's own, or tie in above the highest fixture in the home on the top floor.

Reaction score
THE PLAN... {based on your input}

OK - so based on the input from everyone here, is shown.

One question: If I'm draining water from a sink down a drain, can I tee off of this drain and us it as a vent? See attached. Thank you again. :)

Attachments

• THE_PLAN_4-28-08.jpg
    THE_PLAN_4-28-08.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 3,092

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vents

I am sure your drawings are very illustrative to you, but to us we have to depend on your descriptions and so far I have not seen anything that tells me HOW the second floor toilet is currently vented. How that is done would determine what has to be done to install a third floor bathroom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks