Adding basement kitchen DWV question

Users who are viewing this thread

TurboR1

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post. I'm a DIYer and have avidly avoided plumbing if possible but I'm finishing a basement and want to add a kitchen. It will be directly below the main floor kitchen. I've tried to read and understand the code but I don't know enough for it to make sense. Attached is a poorly sketched drawing of the current plumbing layout, the proposed layout, and a picture of under the sink. The current main level sink drain does a horizontal 90 degree to the right. I'm thinking something like this island vent but am unsure if it is approved. What are your ideas that I can do without tearing out the main kitchen walls/cabinets and still be in code. Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Basement Sink.jpg
    Basement Sink.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 507
  • Basement Sink plumbing route.jpg
    Basement Sink plumbing route.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 630
  • 20170203_115327.jpg
    20170203_115327.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 473
  • Island-loop_vent.jpg
    Island-loop_vent.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 947
Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Your rough idea is not too far off.

As long as it is installed correctly, this new vent does not have to go up the exterior wall,. It can go across the basement ceiling and up through an interior wall where there is better access.

I would look to run a vent from the basement up through an interior wall on the first floor,and either tie the vents together in the attic or run the new vent through the roof.

TurboR1

Reaction score
There are some other sketches of the main level kitchen sink cabinet and the basement below. Sorry, the wording in the pictures is small.

Attachments

• main level plumbing.jpg
    main level plumbing.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 838
  • Basement drain plumbing.jpg
    Basement drain plumbing.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 483

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It is not permitted to use a loop vent except for a kitchen island, where there would be no wall in which to run the vent.

The vent from the sink must be vertical until it is at least 6" higher than the flood rim of the sink.

TurboR1

Reaction score
I didn't think kitchen sinks had flood rims?

So, how would one properly vent the main level sink and allow for a basement sink without tearing off the drywall and kitchen cabinets?

Attachments

• Current plumbing.gif
    Current plumbing.gif
    43.3 KB · Views: 569
Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The flood rim is the maximum level at which the basin would still retain the water.

As I stated previously, when done correctly, the vent can rise up through the first floor somewhere other than behind the kitchen cabinets. It is almost always easier to run plumbing (or wiring) in an interior wall, where there is not likely to be blocking or insulation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks