adding a switched outlet from existing light switch

Users who are viewing this thread

dougbohr2

Reaction score
Hello, I would like to add a switch controlled outlet from an existing switch in my kitchen so the new switch will turn on and off some undercabinet lighting that will be pluged into the new outlet. The location of the outlet will be hidden inside a cabinet. I will swap out the existing light switch with a dual (double stacked) decora style switch. I think this will work, but am just not sure... I attached a drawing. Please give me any advice.

Existing: a single pole switch controlling a can light above my sink. black (hot wire) coming to the lower screw of switch... and a black wire going from the top screw of the switch up to the light. the lower screw is always hot (when testing it) and when the light is on, the top screw is then hot... There's a white wire coming from the light, and it is spliced with another white wire coming from the black hot location-- connected together with a wire nut.

New: using a dual stack switch.... the existing hot wire will go to the hot side of the switch (doesn't matter what screw? top or bottom? and only 1 screw is going to be used on that side?) the top switch -- other side screw goes to the existing black wire going to the can light. the bottom switch -- lower screw goes to the black wire of the new outlet. How is the outlet wired? a black and a white? The black comes from the lower switch... and then the white is spliced together with the 2 existing white wires? all 3 white wires are connected with the wire nut?

Thanks for any help!
Doug

Attachments

• outlet from switch.pdf
    41.1 KB · Views: 497
  • outlet from switch.pdf
    41.1 KB · Views: 402

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That will work. You'll also need to connect all of the grounds together at the original box. You might have an issue with box fill requirements when adding another cable into there...it might end up being too small. Note, if you put in a duplex receptacle, if you ran 12/3 from that box, you could break the tab and have one constant hot and one switched assuming you used a duplex. Being in a kitchen, I'm assuming you're on a 20A circuit, which is why 12g wire is required.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks