Adding a step to an outdoor pool jacuzzi

Users who are viewing this thread

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
To the tile guys:

I have a friend that moved to a condo with a pool and separate jacuzzi. The jacuzzi is about 15' diameter. The first step down is 24" and is really not a step but a place to sit. She would like to add a step approx with a rise of 12" and a run of 12" to make getting in and out of the jacuzzi easier. There is an existing ra

A casual suggestion I made after too much wine has now turned into needing to present a plan to the condo's board for approval. It's a high end building so it can't be funky but they also don't want to tear out the whole jacuzzi just to build another step.

If I do this project it will be agreed the condo accepts all liability or else I won't be involved.

Here's my wine induced plan...

The jacuzzi is tiled with 1"X1" light and dark blue tiles. I do not want to drill into the pool. I was thinking of draining a couple of feet out of the pool so I could form up a step. I could make a form for the stair and form it up in place but on plastic sheeting. Fill the form with fiberglass imbedded concrete and let set up.

Remove the concrete step from pool, fill pool with water, after concrete block cures a bit, tile with 1"X1" tiles. Epoxy (thin set might also work) the 200lb + tiled step in place after draining jacuzzi and caulking where the step meets the existing pool with 3M 5200 or white grout.

Any other ideas or suggestions on how to add a step over tile?

Thanks!

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Kerdi and Noble are not designed for submerged applications.

I would be contacting Ardex and Laticrete for suggestions and a game plan.

I might consider installing the step out of multiple rip cuts of stone set with something like X77 then reinforced with a mesh and more thin-set. Over a base coat of Ardex 8+9.

Check with Harrison at Ardex or call Laticrete and ask for Arthur.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Laticrete has a full pool system of submersible materials. Look on youtube for "laticrete jimmy reed". Maybe contact jimmy via email. ? Unlike john im not yet farmiliar with the ardex system....

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll call Laticrete on Monday.

Checked out some of those Jimmy Reed videos... Wow!

I seem to get involved with not normal projects, mostly for friends. I worked on a pool once that had a fiberglass platform about waist deep that was supported from outside the pool with cables. It was being renovated from an old scuba shop that gave lessons in the pool to a physical therapy business using aqua therapy. They wanted to get rid of the cables and support the platform from underneath, without draining the pool. I used scuba gear and pneumatic tools to bolt wood framed boxes filled with concrete blocks to the platform, lowered the platform down and secured it to pool with existing eyebolts that were in the pool. I also did a lot of the tiling.

koa-spa-01.jpg

koa-spa-02.jpg

koa-spa-03.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks