Adding a Shower to Roman Tub

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jen, Jan 2, 2010.

1. jen

jen New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Manhattan, KS
    We are in the process of remodeling our bathroom and will be adding a shower to our tub. The tub has a roman tub faucet with 2 handles. I understand I need a diverter to run the water to the showerhead. We will just be using the tub faucet and a showerhead, so would I need a 3 or 4 port diverter? Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    To do this right, you might need to tear more up than you think. A tub doesn't need the federally mandated anti-scald valve. Once you add a shower, you do. If your existing valve does not have that, technically, you should replace it with one that does when you add a showerhead. The easiest way to handle this would be to replace the tub spout with one that has a divertor built in and replumb the supply after the valves with a twin-el so water can go either to the spout or to the shower head.

Another big factor might be that a tub without a shower may not have been built to handle the spray resulting from a shower. You might rot out all of the walls and deck. One way around this would be a circular (or oblong) surround shower curtain, then no spray should hit the walls.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement