Adding a second floor addition

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by rblick, Jun 6, 2006.

1. rblick

rblick New Member

I'm adding a second floor addition to my 1 story home.

The existing main floor has only a bath, toilet, and 2 sinks connected to the main 4" stack. All fixtures are very close to the stack, I can tell for sure that the toilet and bath are not vented. I don't think the sinks are either.

Isn't it true that when a fixture is close enough to the stack it doesn't need a separate vent?

If this is the case, could I then use the existing 4" stack as the drain for the second floor? or Would I still have to go into the basement and Y off a new stack for the second floor addition?

I want to plan this carefully.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    You do need to provide a waste line or two to the upstairs bathroom.
    If I were you, I would get a permit and make sure an inspector sees the work.

There are a few reasons for the 6000-8000 hours required working in the field before a plumber can get licensed to do this type of work.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  3. rblick

rblick New Member

thanks for the reply.

I will of course get a permit and have the work inspected. I am just now in the early stages of planning this project and need to plan around things of this nature.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

vent

That pipe is the vent for the existing plumbing, and therefore it cannot be used as a drain for the second floor, unless major revisions are made to the existing first floor drainage piping.