Adding a second floor addition

Users who are viewing this thread

rblick

Reaction score
I'm adding a second floor addition to my 1 story home.

The existing main floor has only a bath, toilet, and 2 sinks connected to the main 4" stack. All fixtures are very close to the stack, I can tell for sure that the toilet and bath are not vented. I don't think the sinks are either.

Isn't it true that when a fixture is close enough to the stack it doesn't need a separate vent?

If this is the case, could I then use the existing 4" stack as the drain for the second floor? or Would I still have to go into the basement and Y off a new stack for the second floor addition?

I want to plan this carefully.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
dwv_b2.jpg

You do need to provide a waste line or two to the upstairs bathroom.
If I were you, I would get a permit and make sure an inspector sees the work.

There are a few reasons for the 6000-8000 hours required working in the field before a plumber can get licensed to do this type of work.

Last edited:

rblick

Reaction score
thanks for the reply.

I will of course get a permit and have the work inspected. I am just now in the early stages of planning this project and need to plan around things of this nature.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

That pipe is the vent for the existing plumbing, and therefore it cannot be used as a drain for the second floor, unless major revisions are made to the existing first floor drainage piping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks