adding a pump to city water

Users who are viewing this thread

Rickmalone

Reaction score
I have some land which has city water at the lower elevation. I would like to build at a location on the land which is about half a mile from the water and 200 feet higher in elevation. Looking for advice on what the best way to get the city water up the hill at that distance. Do I put in a pump at the bottom and pressure tank at the top? Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
200’ is the same as 87 PSI. Then you need to add the 50 PSI you want at the house for a total of 137 PSI. If you use 1 ¼” pipe you won’t have any friction loss to add in at a flow rate of about 10 GPM. Round it up to 140 PSI that you need. That means if you put the pressure switch and pressure tank at the bottom of the hill you will need a pressure switch setting of 130/150, a pump that will produce about 10 GPM at 140 PSI, and a 44 gallon size pressure tank that is rated at 150 PSI. It would look something like this.
High pressure booster with CSV1A.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you are running the power from the house location down to the pump, you can also put the pressure tank and pressure switch up at the house. This way the pressure switch will only be set at 40/60, and when using a CSV, you could use a pressure tank as small as 4.5 gallon actual size. Then the pump can be at the bottom and all the controls are at the top like this.
PK1A sized.jpg

Either way you would need the pipe coming up the hill to be 200 PSI pipe or better.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Where the power is available is one of the factors as to where to control it from and may also be a factor as to where to locate the pump. One cannot assume the 200 foot rise to be in one continuous slope.

Depending on the reliability of the city water pressure, you might be able to locate a cistern part way up the slope and let the city pressure push the water as far as it can. Then you pump it up the rest of the way.

Rickmalone

Reaction score
Thanks so much. I do have power down at the lower part of the land. With that being the case is keeping all the equipment down below the best route to go? I do plan on putting in a 1 1/2" line. Should I put several check valves in the line as it rises that much elevation? Also do I need a reservoir tank before the water goes to the pump or can it hook directly to the line after it comes out of the meter? Does it matter how big the line is that comes out of the meter and feeds the pump? Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thanks so much. I do have power down at the lower part of the land. With that being the case is keeping all the equipment down below the best route to go? I do plan on putting in a 1 1/2" line. Should I put several check valves in the line as it rises that much elevation? Also do I need a reservoir tank before the water goes to the pump or can it hook directly to the line after it comes out of the meter? Does it matter how big the line is that comes out of the meter and feeds the pump? Thanks

Keeping everything at the bottom saves you having to run power or control wires from the top. But it means you need the larger and higher pressure tank, and a little more expensive pressure switch.

1 1/2" line is good, but the only check valve you want is the one on the pump.

As long as the city meter can supply enough volume, you won't need a reservoir tank. The pressure coming into the pump from the city will actually add to what the pump can do, which will reduce the size of pump required.

The larger the line you feed the pump with the better, up to a point.

Rickmalone

Reaction score
Recommendations on what pump to get? Best brands and models? I know you said 10 GPM @ 140 PSI. Is that the only numbers I need to be concerned with? If anything I would like to err on too large instead of too small. What about the outlet size on the pump? does it need to be the same size as my line?
thanks again

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am just guessing at the 10 GPM, but that should be plenty for most houses. The first book I looked at shows a HPS10E, 1HP Sta-Rite will do it. It has 3/4" in and out, but you want to go up to line size as quickly as possible. If you have any city pressure coming into the pump, the 1HP maybe a little overkill.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks