Adding a New Check Valve at the Tank Level

Users who are viewing this thread

Daavewaard

Reaction score
Friends,

I am back with another question. I do apprecicate all the willing participants here. My brand new 1 1/2 hp pump with check valve either has a failed check valve or something stuck in the valve...as all the water in the house drains back into the well when I turn off the pump. My current thinking, to avoid pulling the pump, is to add a check valve at the tank on a Y or Tee so I could have the new check valve activated or not based on which of two new control valves I have open. That way, if there is something lodged in the pump's check valve and it comes free, I could disable the new check valve at tank level.

Q1. What is the best style check valve to add at my tank level?
Q2. I see the backflow into the well is creating lots of dirty sediment...and I assume there will continue to be some when 200 feet of water (that amount after the new check valve and down to the pump) returns to the well every time the pump stops. Obviously I'm not the first guy with this...what do people do, just live with the sediment problem?

Thanks a million.

Reach4

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you have that problem, and I am sorry I don't have an answer for your question about choosing a check valve.

Regarding sediment, run your water to clear the sediment. Even without a checkvalve failure, it is normal to need to flush out sediment after well work. In fact, I would do well sanitizing too. That gets followed by dumping a lot of water to clear out the chlorine anyway, so that could both clear sediment and chlorine. http://www.moravecwaterwells.com/disin_test.htm is the technique I like -- more complex, but it seems to me that the extra work should be worthwhile. Most people agree that you should sanitize your well after pulling the pump and putting it back.

I am not a pro.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah installing a check valve above ground is not a good solution. But since you mentioned sediment, it could be that it is just sediment in the check valve. And if it is, adding another check valve anywhere else will just give you 2 check valves to fill full of sediment.

Sometimes pumping the well clean will also clean the debris out of the check valve and it will go back to working. Run as many hoses as you have or open a big line to produce the most flow, keeping the pressure as low as possible and see if you can clean it up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks