Adding a hose bib to main irrigation line?

Users who are viewing this thread

chad.stu

Reaction score
Not sure if its worth trying myself, but at the same time don't think that it would be too hard to do myself. I would like to add a hose to the backyard.

I have a seperate irrigation meter and also a full front yard system. I am not totally sure where my valves are though. A quesiton i guess i have is
1) where to tie in just to add a hose to the backyard

2) if i wanted to tie into the main line, are there any tips finding out where the main line is ran.

Thanks and let me know if you have any suggestions.
Chad

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They make stand alone yard hydrants for that purpose.
You would cut a tee into the line for that.

yardhydrant_installed.jpg

Y34clr.gif

Last edited:

chad.stu

Reaction score
thanks for the reply.
does it matter if the cut is on an area that is on an irrigation valve?

i thought i would want to make a cut on the main line before it gets to the irrigation valves? and then run that back to the back yard? is my logic wrong?

Thanks

chad.stu

Reaction score
Ok so that logic is right.

What would be the easiest and most effecient way to tie into the main line?
Thanks,
Chad

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This may not be of value to you, but I have a separate line that runs around my house that does not run through the controller. That way I have water in the hydrant anytime I want it. It would require some digging and pipe, but you would just tie into the line coming from the meter. I installed my line when the system was installed, so there was no extra work, just the pipe.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Note that the yard hydrant that Terry shows is designed for year-round service, even in freezing climates, since it connects to a pipe you have buried below the frost line.

It would help if the OP supplied his location, since that figures into the answer to his question.

yardhydrant_installed.jpg

They make yard hydrants that are self draining for winter use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks