Adding a bathroom - but can't reach exisiting septic system

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I've been thinking for a while about adding a third full-bath to my single story ranch style home. The house is "L" shaped and built on a slab (in FL). I want to add this bathroom at the end of the small-L where there is a second master-sized bedroom.

The problem is that I am on a septic tank system which is in the front yard, and the new bathroom would be at the furthest point from that septic tank and there is a pool in the way.

One on my neighbors had a bathroom/mother-in-law suite added where the builder used a pump to get the waste from the new bath to his septic tank in the back. However he was able to pump in a straight line. My setup would not be so easy.

I have a large lot (3 acres) and its pretty much clear in the backyard behind where the new bathroom would go. I was thinking I could put in a second septic tank just for this one bathroom. My know-it-all neighbor says he was told that if you install a septic tank it has be large enough for all the bathrooms (or maybe it was all the bedrooms) in the house - regardless of how many bathrooms are actually going to be connected to it. This doesn't make sense - which why it is probably true.

Has anyone added a bath with a small one-bath sized septic system?
Is there another way to do this I haven't thought of?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
My thinking on this is that you are way out of DIY territory. You absolutely will have to have a system that will pass inspection and this will entail a lot more expertise than a DIY possesses. My suggestion is that you find a local plumbing establishment than can evaluate what has to be done and what $$ will be involved.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Yes, Not a DIY project, but I would like to be informed as much as possible before I get a general contractor involved. It also helps if I have an idea of what choices I have so I can discuss intelligently with the contractor.

If I were to proceed I would like to have professional build the shell (dry-in) and do slab and plumbing (maybe electrical) to pass those inspections then I would do the interior finishes and tile work myself.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In Washington State, the size of the septic is determined by the number of bedrooms.
That's how they figure how much use it will get.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Thanks Terry, so it is likely the same in FL.

Since my septic tank is currently sized for 4 bedrooms (2-1/2 baths) I would not have an issue if I was just adding one bathroom (no additional bedrooms) - if I could connect to existing tank/system.

I would like to think that I could request (and would be approved) a variance to add a small septic tank in the back for just the one bathroom. I assume the code is written for one septic system per house, and my situation of course was never considered/covered in the code.

Whether or not I would proceed is based on the cost of this project. If adding small septic system in the back yard, say, adds $10K to the project, then it is not worth it (as I don't want to spend more than $25,ooo).

Is it possible to connect the last bathroom (Bath2) the last bathroom on the main sewage pipe, to the new Bathroom if the new piping was to be outside of the home's slab? Can the bathroom piping be under the patio concrete?
Sketch of House.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks