Adding a Bath Electrical Circuit

Users who are viewing this thread

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Yeah, the instructions seem ambiguous. The mat instructions mention the following:

Maximum Circuit Overload Protection 20 A Breaker
Maximum Circuit Load 15 Amps

Also, why would you have a cap on the breaker size if everything is being wired in parallel?

The maximum circuit that can supply the mat regardless of the square feet being covered is 20 amp. The largest load the circuit of the mat can carry is 15 amps. All this is directed to the mat itself and has nothing to do with the controller that you posted.
Should one to decide to use a larger mat then they would choose a larger controller that would match the square footage being installed.
http://www.warmwire.com/products/co...or-larger-areas-controlled-by-thermostat.html

The controller which is the weakest link in this circuit is what will mandate what is to be installed. It requires a 15 amp circuit and recommends a dictated circuit.

As an electrical inspector I would not pass the installation should it not be as the controller states in its installation instructions.

As to your cable installations question, I can’t address Washington but the here in NC we are not requiring anything special in the crawl space or any hole drilling.

Each node of a parallel circuit will add current to the entire circuit. In the node for the heating mat the mat and its controller will be a series circuit of a predetermined resistance. This node will add to the other nodes of the circuits for a total amperage draw that the conductor must be capable of carrying.

The total resistance of a parallel circuit will always be less than the lowest resistance of any single node. Should one of those nodes lose all resistance then the amperage draw will increase to the point that damage would occur to the insulation on the conductor. This is the job of the fuse or the circuit breaker. It will open in the event of a high current draw and protect the conductor.

A GFCI device does not open in the event of an overcurrent event. All the GFCI device is looking for is a difference between two current carrying conductors of 4 to 6 milliamps.
What the manufacturer of the GFCI device is saying is if more than 15 amps is allowed to flow through this device it could damage the integral wiring of the circuit board and render the device useless.

DIYdude

Reaction score
Ugh, ok. jwelectric, I'll take your suggestion. Please confirm this is what you stated:

Circuit 1 (20 amps): GFCIs only
Circuit 2 (15 amps): Floor thermostat and mat
Circuit 3 (Existing 15-amp branch circuit): Add recessed light and sconces that are substituting for existing vanity lights

Edit: My concern is overloading the 15-amp branch circuit. When I add up the wattage, including the new recessed light, I'm at 1575W. This would most likely not pass an inspection, correct?:

Lights fixtures:
- kitchen (2): 240W (4 - 60W bulbs)
- chandelier (1): 360W (6 - 60W bulbs)
- downstairs bathroom (1): 315W (Recessed light (75W), Sconces (4 - 60W bulbs))
- deck (1): 180W (2 - 90W bulbs)
- downstairs bedroom (2): 120W (2 - 60W bulbs)

Outlets:
- downstairs bathroom GFCI (1)
- downstairs bedroom (1)
- upstairs bathroom GFCI (1) - probably not necessary that it be GFCI, since it feeds off the downstairs GFCI. Anyway.
- living room (1)

Other:
- downstairs bathroom fan (180W?)
- kitchen range hood (180W?)

Last edited:

JWelectric

Reaction score
Are you planning on having all these light on at the same time?

If it is a concern while the walls are open then install an addtional circuit

DIYdude

Reaction score
Are you planning on having all these light on at the same time?

If it is a concern while the walls are open then install an addtional circuit

No, I wouldn't have all the lights on at the same time; there are only two of us in the house :D I remember reading something about a 3-hour continuous load, and only the deck light would be on continuously for 3+ hours. I believe I have 5 open slots in the panel (although, it's only a 60-amp panel - that's another issue I'll have to deal with later), so I could run three new circuits.

I'd have to amend my electrical permit. Oh, boy. And yes, I was supposed to meet with an electrician this past Thursday before applying for a permit, but they never showed. So, I decided to move forward with getting permits before the weekend.

Last edited:

JWelectric

Reaction score
There is a difference between calculating a load for commercial and industrial than doing a dwelling unit calculation.

In industrial and commercial we do a continuous calculation but for a dwelling we do the 3 watts per square foot and no continuous load for these circuits.

Although it is a good idea to do the wattage per light fixture for branch circuits there is no need to do the continuous factor to the circuit. It is very unlikely that one would have 1400 watts of lights burning for a very long period of time let alone for three hours at a time. Should someone do this repeatedly the power company would invite them to the board of directors meeting as a stock holder.

DIYdude

Reaction score
There is a difference between calculating a load for commercial and industrial than doing a dwelling unit calculation.

In industrial and commercial we do a continuous calculation but for a dwelling we do the 3 watts per square foot and no continuous load for these circuits.

Although it is a good idea to do the wattage per light fixture for branch circuits there is no need to do the continuous factor to the circuit. It is very unlikely that one would have 1400 watts of lights burning for a very long period of time let alone for three hours at a time. Should someone do this repeatedly the power company would invite them to the board of directors meeting as a stock holder.

LOL. Ok, thanks. So, I'll just add the recessed light to the existing 15-amp circuit and call it good. Thanks for the advice.

DIYdude

Reaction score
Ok, I have another question. I'm investigating another floor warming system by Warming Systems, Inc. The instructions mention that only a certified electrician can connect the floor heating mat (I'm actually going to be using the warming wire instead of the mat - don't think it matters). Do I need to worry about this mandate with regard to an inspection?

http://www.warmingsystems.com/Cable Set Install Instructions.pdf

Only a certified electrician who is familiar
with electrical installation codes and
practices can connect the floor heating mat.
All wiring must comply with the
specifications in the US National Electric
Code and all local electrical regulations
and standards.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may lose any warranty claim if not installed by a licensed electrician.

DIYdude

Reaction score
I'm replacing the existing two-gang box with a three-gang, and I'd like to use an adjustable box. However, I'd have to make a small notch in the jack stud to install it. Is there a reason why I shouldn't make a notch? I didn't think so, but I thought I'd ask.

Attachments

• Wall Stud.jpg
    Wall Stud.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 389
  • Outlet Box.jpg
    Outlet Box.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 357
  • Bracket.jpg
    Bracket.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
How big of a notch? Load bearing wall?

If it is a small notch or a non-bearing wall then the wood is nothing but in the way.

DIYdude

Reaction score
I decided to just use a different box. The wall is load-bearing, and it's not worth the risk just for an electrical box. It would have been nice to have the flexibility to adjust the depth, though.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Madison Electric Products Smart Box 3 Gang Multi-Mount Adjustable Depth Device Box could be an option.

b9d9da21-383e-4976-98e2-2d86ef73e759_400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Houptee

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

DIYdude

Reaction score
These Arlington are nice boxes and adjustable depth like the Carlon but a much nicer design, they don't have the bent over tangs on the bracket its flat.

http://www.aifittings.com/catalog/specialty-boxes/non-metallic-outlet-box-for-new-construction/

I have simply hack sawed off the bent over tangs on those adjustable Carlon boxes when mounting them on old rough sawn true 2x4s since the bracket doesn't fit.

Hmm. I ended up using the Carlon BH353A Super Blue box. I followed someone else's lead and installed a piece of 1/2" drywall on the stud next to the box so I could line it up flush. It appears to be perfect. Switches installed are temporary basic single-pole switches. Once I get closer to finishing the bathroom, I'll install the real switches.

Attachments

• Switches.jpg
    Switches.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:

DIYdude

Reaction score
The manual for the Suntouch floor mat mentions needing a dedicated circuit, and it also mentions the possibility of installing the mat and thermostat on an existing circuit. I've installed a dedicated 15-amp circuit for the floor heat in the downstairs bathroom, but I was wondering if I can run the upstairs bathroom's mat on the same 15-amp circuit I'm using for the downstairs floor mat. Each mat will only consume about 2 amps. The reason I ask is that my panel's neutral bus bar is full, and I'll be working on the upstairs bathroom later.

Last edited:

DIYdude

Reaction score
I got in touch with Suntouch this morning, and I was told that the two thermostats have to be on different circuits.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks