Adding a 3rd wire to switch (neutral)

Users who are viewing this thread

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
If you are familiar with the insteon line of swithces and automation you know that they require three lines into the switch. It needs a neutral (as far as I know to send the signal) to make it work. I only have two lines coming into my switches. What is the easiest way to make this work?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Functionally, you really only have ONE wire in that switch box...one side is normally open, and when you flip the switch, the hot is connected to it. So, you really only have a hot lead (well, probably have a ground, too). You'd have to run a 1x/3 cable from the light fixture to get the neutral in there.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Smarthome.com offers the following alternatives:

What to do if you don't have neutrals:
a) If ceiling fixture: Convert a swtich leg into a neutral and install a switchlinc (or keypadlinc) in the switch box plus an inlinelinc in the ceiling fixture
b) if a 3 way circuit: simply convert one of the traveler wires into a neutral (bringing neutral from the "master" to the "slave" and install 2 switchlincs (since insteon does not require the travelers)
c) hire an electrician to "pull" neutrals for you (and you might want them to install the INSTEON products at the same time) -- usually, this process isn't quite as expensive as most customers fear

(a) might be viable for you, but it looks expensive.

Jdoll42

Computer Systems Engineer
Reaction score
OK pro's. Correct me if I'm wrong. I know this isn't the right way to do it, but shouldn't the switch be grounded anyway? You see where I'm going with this... I know, not the right way and probably against code, but couldn't he use the ground in a pinch for a return path to the main panel instead of a neutral?

With that said, even if it would work, I personally wouldn't do it. I'm just curious as to whether or not it would work.

Again, DON'T DO IT THIS WAY!

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You do not want to energize your grounding conductor.

Someone could get hurt or, in the right (or wrong) situation, killed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks