Adding 900ft Supply Line to House....

Users who are viewing this thread

BigTX

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum here and am learning about well systems as they are fairly new to me. There seems to be a lot of knowledge here, so I thought I'd seek some advice...

The well I currently have is 400ft deep (4" casing) with a 2HP 10GPM Grundfos Pump and 44Gal Pressure tank. Demand currently is from a couple of livestock tanks, horse stalls, and a small cabin with a kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower, and toilet. The cabin is not occupied full time. I am looking at building a home that is about 900' from the existing well and am curious if running a supply line would be feasible. The home itself will be occupied by three people with two full baths, a half bath, kitchen with dishwasher, washer, utility room sink, garage sink, and two outside hose bibs.

My thought is to run a 2" line to the house and connect to a filter and softener. Would this provide adequate service or is there a better setup you'd recommend?

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
If the house is up a hill, that will factor into how you set things up. Try to measure the elevation difference. I don't know if your GPS will be good enough for that.

I suspect you will want an additional pressure tank at the house for pulse loads including the washing machine.

BigTX

Reaction score
It is down hill for sure, but not a tremendous amount...15-20ft is all.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I haven't looked at the piping chart but 2" for 900' ought to give you good service. You might be able to go with 1.5" pipe but 1.5" is kind of an odd-ball size and probably wouldn't save very much money. For every foot in elevation change up-hill it takes about .43 psig. If you're going down-hill to the house it actually adds pressure (that's how water towers work).

If you want to save money 1.25" pipe would probably be a good choice.

Edit: Just looked at the charts. For every 100' at 10 GPM the following is true:
1" PVC = 6.88 PSI = 68 psi of lost pressure for 1,000 ft
1.25" PVC = 1.78 PSI = 17.8 psi of lost pressure for 1,000 ft
1.50" PVC = .83 PSI = 8.3 psi of lost pressure for 1,000 ft
2" PVC = .25 PSI = 2.5 psi of lost pressure for 1,000 ft

A good rule of thumb is about 10 GPM for a house. The more fancy showers etc. can up the number. I set your distance to 1,000 ft to account for elbows and fittings but you really ought to get a good measurement by using google earth. If you use the 1.25" pipe set the pressure up about 20 psi higher than normal and you should be fine. 70 on and 50 off.

Good luck.

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It is down hill for sure, but not a tremendous amount...15-20ft is all.

Texas Wellman has a lot of good info for our area.

Windmills and Elevated water tanks work too.

I would use Rigid Pipe if you live in the Hill Country. And cattle are around it.

But I am no pro.

If you are running it thru your pasture it may take special precautions.

www.Terrylove.com has a piping chart, but I do not have the direct link.

Ops it may only go to 1 "?

Good Luck.

Last edited:

BigTX

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I set your distance to 1,000 ft to account for elbows and fittings but you really ought to get a good measurement by using google earth.

That's exactly how I came up with the 900 ft...google earth showed 853 ft so I just rounded up.

www.Terrylove.com has a piping chart, but I do not have the direct link.

Ops it may only go to 1 "?

I have seen his chart and it does go to 1 1/2" for supply, but only show up to 600' for length

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks